Two Sided Pole Vault Pit

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Two Sided Pole Vault Pit

Unread postby VaultPurple » Thu May 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Does anyone know which colleges have two sided pole vault pits (you can go from either side without turning the mats around)?

Also what kind of designs do they have on top of them and do any of them have two coaches boxes (one for each side)?

Thanks

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Re: Two Sided Pole Vault Pit

Unread postby botakatobi » Thu May 03, 2012 1:55 pm

Cal State Northridge has one. The coaches box is a flagged off area that can be located either direction used.

kcvault
PV Pro
Expertise: College vaulter, post collegiate vaulter, BA kinesiology,
Lifetime Best: 5.40m
Favorite Vaulter: Annie Burlingham

Unread postby kcvault » Thu May 03, 2012 3:42 pm

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri May 04, 2012 1:23 am

University of Oregon, Hayward Field, Eugene, Oregon. Two doubled ended pits, side by side. Can run two competitions at the same time with approach run either from north or south. I can't remember for sure, but I think there is a big "O" in the center of the top cover.
http://www.goducks.com/pics17/0/JF/JFFBKQNBAGAEUWK.20080521162302.jpg
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

byupv14
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.16

Unread postby byupv14 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:14 pm

BYU has a double sided pit. Its blue and has a white box on top. They also have an insert that you can put on the side that you aren't using.

gnut
PV Newbie

Unread postby gnut » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:47 am

The new Univ. of Wash. facility has a multitude of PV runways, but unlike Oregon, changing the running direction seems to require dragging the pit about 40 yards, i.e. instead of two opposite-facing boxes about 15 ft apart like at Oregon, the boxes are far apart.

Can anyone explain the pros and cons of each type of layout? I cannot figure out any advantage for the UW layout.

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Unread postby botakatobi » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:28 am

From an official's and vaulter's standpoint, a pit with runways on either side is preferable. The pit and standards in each direction can be adjusted pursuant to the rule book and the runway direction can be changed prior to the event with little delay.

From a facility standpoint the placement of runways, boxes and pits is dependent on many factors. Mainly the size of the track facility, the location of all the other field events and costs to construct the facility.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:45 am

gnut wrote:The new Univ. of Wash. facility has a multitude of PV runways, but unlike Oregon, changing the running direction seems to require dragging the pit about 40 yards, i.e. instead of two opposite-facing boxes about 15 ft apart like at Oregon, the boxes are far apart.

Can anyone explain the pros and cons of each type of layout? I cannot figure out any advantage for the UW layout.

They built the track over what is basically fill dirt, and had to spend a fortune putting huge pylons or whatever underneath all sections of the track and runways so they won't sink over time. It's possible that there was some sort of limitation with that that affected the runway placement.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:00 pm

Well, since I posted this a few months ago and it has resurfaced I figure I'll post what we ended up going with:

I think we will enjoy it :D

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Gorgeous!

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:28 pm

WOW ! really sweet!!!

gnut
PV Newbie

Unread postby gnut » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:49 am

More on the new UW T&F layout: There are 2 parallel tracks infield of the track along the backstretch (north side). The 2 serial runways toward the infield are both for running west; the 2 serial runways closest to the track are both for running east. Reversing the direction of any of the 4 runways due to a change in wind will require moving a pit, unlike at Hayward Field. This seems to be a bother that could have been avoided, so there must be something I don't understand. I do note that running two flights simultaneously can be accomplished with only about 6 inches spacing between the parallel runways. However, there seems to be no shortage of available space in the vicinity of these runways, no issues with other events, nor is there any limitation from the build site atop the old city dump. There are also PV runways in the west "D" end, running north or south.

I could not figure out how to include my photo taken Oct. 13. The track is Beynon BSS 2000; purple for the track and runways, and gray for the non-runway portions of both "D" ends and alongside the straightaways.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”