Pole question

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Pole question

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:44 am

Ok, this is gonna be kinda long so...................bear with me. I am currently jumping on an Altius (2012) model 13'9" 190. The new Altius poles can be gripped all the way to the top minus about an inch for the weight label. ( I am a masters vaulter so I realize that that is incosequential ,I can grip as high as I want etc.) Anyway, I have available to me a Spirit 13'7" 205 and yes I know that the weight label is 6" down on a Spirit. I am trying to determine (and I am not looking for an endorsement/liability waiver etc.) if gripping above the weight label (13'5") would be close enough in weight rating to the Altius. I am currently gripping 13'-13'2" on the Atius but cannot move my grip up without blowing through the pole. I would like to try the Spirit but have never jumped on a Spirit and really do not know what to expect. Some additional questions that would be relevant: Does Spirit flex their pole from the ends or from 6",12" in from the ends. Does Altius flex from the ends or 6",12" inches in etc. I have looked at the relative pole stiffness charts, but am still a little concerned to try the Spirit pole (I have heard rumors about Spirits being unusually stiff etc.) Anyway I am rambling but would like any helpful fedback based on facts not heresay. Thanks..............and let the games begin!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Pole question

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:37 am

Quick answer. I do not think anyone knows 100%

It is very difficult to compare poles across brands as they are all flexed differently and the weight rating is an arbitrary number. Your best bet is to just give it a try with the spirit. I find compared to some brands spirits seem stiffer initially. And I have no problem with vaulters gripping over the max grip on spirits, as long as they are safe about it and not obviously over bending the pole. I have actually found that even some lengths of poles within the same brand are flexed differently (for example 15'1 series feels like close to the same pole as the 15'7 series when gripping 15'1 making it appear the 15'1 is flexed from the top of the pole and the 15'7 is flexed at the max hand grip at 15'1).

Pretty much the only way to figure it out is to give it a try on the Spirit.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:13 pm

Well that is knda where I am at. Just gonna jump on i and see what happens. Thanks for the insight..................however if anyone has any first hand experience with what I am about to do please chime in!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:12 pm

Don't swing on your first jump! ;)

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:02 pm

Right!

fly right
PV Newbie
Expertise: level 1, usoc/usatf elite coaches clinic attendee, HS / college caoch
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Unread postby fly right » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:14 pm

Something you might want to try which will give you a close answer but not definitive unless you jump both poles. On a level surface set up two saw horses or another type of rack system that will support the poles. Space them two feet less than the length of the shortest pole. Remove the plug from that pole and place it on the rack so there in exactly one foot of overhang on either end. From the very middle with the tension side (side that would face up when you plant) facing the floor suspend a 50# weight and measure the deflection in metric or imperial (I prefer centimeters). You can use any close weight amount because this is not to determine the actual flex #. You are only comparing stiffness between the poles. Do the same with the other pole without changing the span making sure the overhang is the same amount on either end. See how they cross-flex to determine comparative stiffness.

Once again the best method is to jump both poles to decide.

Good Luck

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:58 pm

fly right wrote:Something you might want to try which will give you a close answer but not definitive unless you jump both poles. On a level surface set up two saw horses or another type of rack system that will support the poles. Space them two feet less than the length of the shortest pole. Remove the plug from that pole and place it on the rack so there in exactly one foot of overhang on either end. From the very middle with the tension side (side that would face up when you plant) facing the floor suspend a 50# weight and measure the deflection in metric or imperial (I prefer centimeters). You can use any close weight amount because this is not to determine the actual flex #. You are only comparing stiffness between the poles. Do the same with the other pole without changing the span making sure the overhang is the same amount on either end. See how they cross-flex to determine comparative stiffness.

Once again the best method is to jump both poles to decide.

Good Luck

Also flex the pole you use before the 13'9 190, that way you have a better way of understanding what the numbers mean in relative stiffness.

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:42 pm

He great advice I will try that. Makes sense just was not sure how to go about it. Thanks! :D

Victory Sports
PV Nerd
Expertise: Vaulter, Coach,
Lifetime Best: 14'6"

Unread postby Victory Sports » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Here is a fact... based on experience... I have jumped on a 13'7'' 165 spirit and a 13'9" 165 altius... side by side... this is what I feel... that the altius feels 10 pounds softer at the same grip...

I am interested to see what happens... I agree with becca... dont turn up... and plant tall...

your poles side by side would be like going from a 180 to a 205...

I own about 35 spirits but for so short that 205 must be a beast :)

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks and some good points and yes...........................it is a beast and kinda scary :eek:

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”