Homemade pole bag

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

longislandpv
PV Newbie
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11' 6''
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Homemade pole bag

Unread postby longislandpv » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:24 am

I have been looking on the internet for a pole bag and i haven't come to terms with spending $200 for a UCS SPIRIT bag. While i know that they are one of the most expensive they are also one of the best made bags. Has anyone out their made their own homemade pole bag and if so can you give me details on how it was made and what types of materials you used to make it .... thanks alot

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Re: Homemade pole bag

Unread postby PV2020 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:36 am

you can buy all the material for probably 20-50 dollars. As long as you have a good sewing machine it is not hard. Just depends on your craft making skills. Friend of mine made one a while ago that was really nice. Just get some vinal material from an upholstery shop and make it inside out, then flip it back the right way. Can make it any color you can find the vinal in and iron on letters for your club or school name.

CB
PV Whiz
Expertise: PV Coach

Unread postby CB » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:38 am

I used the old rain cover of a pole vault pit.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:47 am

I see people using PVC pipe and painting it or making a bag out of regular material and putting the pipe in it. Guess it depends on how much and what kind of traveling you are doing.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

longislandpv
PV Newbie

Unread postby longislandpv » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:01 am

Well my use for the bag will most likely be for getting from meet to meet and a little bit of car traveling.

If anyone made on can they please post pictures?

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:13 pm

How does $4 sound?

Go to Home Depot and buy 100' of 4" drain sleeve fabric filter sock $19.99. Cut off a piece 3' longer than your longest pole. Tie a knot in one end. Turn it inside out so that the knot is on the inside. Fill it with 4 to 6 poles. You can tie the open end or use a small tarp bungee (the ones with the loop and plastic ball). Just grab a pole in the middle through the fabric and you can carry them like a suitcase. If you leave the open end a little longer and tie a knot in it you can close the knotted end inside the trunk of your car and then bungee the closed end in the v-shaped space between the passenger outside mirror and the body of your car.

You can also use the 3" version of this stuff to make cheap, individual pole socks to protect carbon (or fiberglass) poles in a plastic pole tube.
May the Force be with you!

longislandpv
PV Newbie

Unread postby longislandpv » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:40 pm

Darth Vaulter wrote:How does $4 sound?

Go to Home Depot and buy 100' of 4" drain sleeve fabric filter sock $19.99. Cut off a piece 3' longer than your longest pole. Tie a knot in one end. Turn it inside out so that the knot is on the inside. Fill it with 4 to 6 poles. You can tie the open end or use a small tarp bungee (the ones with the loop and plastic ball). Just grab a pole in the middle through the fabric and you can carry them like a suitcase. If you leave the open end a little longer and tie a knot in it you can close the knotted end inside the trunk of your car and then bungee the closed end in the v-shaped space between the passenger outside mirror and the body of your car.

You can also use the 3" version of this stuff to make cheap, individual pole socks to protect carbon (or fiberglass) poles in a plastic pole tube.

how good are they though? i want something that looks nice and has school colors on and stuff like that. i would like it too look like a ucs spirit bag but half the costs.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:23 pm

longislandpv wrote:how good are they though? i want something that looks nice and has school colors on and stuff like that. i would like it too look like a ucs spirit bag but half the costs.

There's a reason UCS bags cost as much as they do. The materials are fairly expensive and they are somewhat labor intensive to make.

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:19 am

Well my use for the bag will most likely be for getting from meet to meet and a little bit of car traveling

I was focusing on this statement rather than your first post. The filter sleeve works great for this.
May the Force be with you!

volunteer
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent, Volunteer

Unread postby volunteer » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:43 am

do yourself a favor and think about PROTECTING the POLES first. If you travel to meets yourself ( not in buses, etc but by truck or car) then invest in a true pole bag or at least a good PVC tube. Make sure you anchor it well to the car with ratchet straps and not bungy cords. THis way, you are putting the stresses of stapping on the tube and not the poles. last thing you want to do is nick or crack a pole with metal tip bungy cord or ratchet strap. And if at all possible, travel using a large luggage rack or pickup with ladder rack system. Combine these together and you will make every trip safe an d sound .

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:57 pm

Here's what you should do. Buy a PVC pipe or corrugated tube in the length you need. Buy good ends for it. Paint it in your school colors.

Poles stay safe and you have a cool carrier for your poles.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:42 pm

The stuff I like most is Advanced Drainage Systems (ADS) lined corrugated drainage tubing. You can't get it at the big-box home improvement places; you would have to go to an irrigation or landscaping supply place (you live closer to one than you think). This is the stuff that looks like corrugated tubing from the outside but is smoothly-lined on the inside so your poles can slide in and out without difficulty. The lining also adds rigidity to the system.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”