Pole Vault Trainers?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

efalbo
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Pole Vault Trainers?

Unread postby efalbo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:25 pm

I have seen many questions regarding appropriate spikes for pole vaulting, but no trainers (or flats) for the event. I come here in hopes of trying to find a definite answer.

It is safe to say that pole vaulters want a heel that has good support, and most of us do not want a heavy shoe for personal preferences. I currently use the Nike Pegasus 28 as a trainer and really love it. There is a great heel on it, but the only problem is that it might actually be too much; the weight of the shoe can be a downfall when my legs are tired. There is not one shoe that will work well with every person, but it would be nice to keep a current list going on what shoes are good for pole vault practices. From what I see, the Nike Pegasus 29 has a little bit less of a heel. I would love to get a pair of them in the near future and try them out.

Does anyone else have any shoes that have done them well recently?
(Keep in mind that shoes can be completely revamped with each new model. The Nike Pegasus 30, for example, may be entirely unlike the 28 and 29s.)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Pole Vault Trainers?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Do you mean what flats are good for vaulting in lieu of spikes, or what flats are good for training in general?

efalbo
PV Newbie

Unread postby efalbo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Training for pole vaulting, not specifically jumping, and not specifically sprinting. Mainly just pole runs, penultimate drills, etc. Most of these shoes, I'm assuming would be a solid double for training in general as well.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:48 pm

I think for general training, it's really whatever works best for your foot. I recommend getting fitted at a specialty running store where they are trained to watch you run and identify biomechanical issues that could mean one type or another makes a difference.

efalbo
PV Newbie

Unread postby efalbo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:57 pm

Most running stores aren't going to fully understand the preferences of a pole vaulter. I'm trying to get some specific shoes from first hand experiences. I am also wondering if there is anything else pole vaulters should look for in a shoe. I feel like this topic is just too under looked.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:09 pm

efalbo wrote:Most running stores aren't going to fully understand the preferences of a pole vaulter. I'm trying to get some specific shoes from first hand experiences. I am also wondering if there is anything else pole vaulters should look for in a shoe. I feel like this topic is just too under looked.

But when you're not vaulting, you're just training like a jumper and really very different from a sprinter. A lot of running store employees are distance runners, so they may not be super experts in your specifics, but they should be able to at least point you in the right direction.

Ultimately you just have to find what works for you... the point is that while there are only a few models of spikes out there that meet the needs of most vaulters, there are hundreds of training shoes that would be more than adequate for most.

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Unread postby PV2020 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Get a good neutral shoe. When not pole vaulting you should be practicing good sprint mechanics with striking the ground with the ball of your foot and not running hill to toe or too high up on your toes. Because of this it is good to have something that is relatively neutral so your foot can hit the ground solid and not be forced to one side. Running shoes for your foot style are designed for distance running, not doing running drills and cross training workouts. You should always run on balls of feet, even when doing conditioning runs to build up ankle and calf strength so heel to toe shoes are not that good. If for some reason you do have feet problems and need something special, get orthotics from a doctor and put them in a neutral shoe to get the outcome you want.

The Nike LunarGlide is my favorite by far of any shoe I have ever used and I have tried them all. And out of the LundarGlide models the 3 was my favorite...

http://www.footlocker.com/product/model ... &size=07.0

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”