New Style Pits?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

New Style Pits?

Unread postby CowtownPV » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:38 pm

I heard that Gill was making pits where the pads were all vinyl and that would eliminate sun exposure and help the foam life. How is air released when you land on them? Is this just being talked about or are they allready in use?
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

Tumbleweed
PV Nerd
Expertise: DIV II NAIA College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.45
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: New Style Pits?

Unread postby Tumbleweed » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:28 pm

The big question would be, how will it hold up against spikes. Seems to me vinyl would easily puncture and tear?

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:43 pm

They are already in use. I have one at the university and it is holding up really well. The top pad protects the vinyl covered buns from spikes and the air does not seem to have any problem escaping the buns.
Facts, Not Fiction

Gill Athletics
PV Beginner
Expertise: Manufacturer
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby Gill Athletics » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:51 pm

CowtownPV wrote:I heard that Gill was making pits where the pads were all vinyl and that would eliminate sun exposure and help the foam life. How is air released when you land on them? Is this just being talked about or are they allready in use?

Thanks for asking Cowtown PV.

We went to an all vinyl base pads system in 2011. The top pad is still the traditional mesh.

Our intent in doing this new design was to help increase the life of the customer's foam. Water is a foam killer and the new all vinyl base pads, while not water proof, are water resistant. Thus increasing the life of your pit.

Our goal is to serve the track and field community in all avenues that we can, we believe this new design for HJ and PV pits will effectively decrease the cost of the event(s) as the life of foam will be extended.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Mike Cunningham
Sales Manager
facebook.com/gillathletics
@gillathletics
www.gillathletics.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”