Types of Poles

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

What type of pole do you like the best?

Pacer
29%
UCS Spirit
40%
Sky Pole
3%
Nordic
3%
ESSX
23%
Rocket
1%

Total votes: 86

Benjamin1205
PV Beginner

Types of Poles

Unread postby Benjamin1205 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:14 am

I prefer Pacers because I think they are easier to use. But i havent really tried all the types of poles. I want to know which pole is your favorite.

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:57 am

ESSX

RoySloppy
PV Pro

Unread postby RoySloppy » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:02 pm

this is the what, 8000th thread on this topic?
VA for Life!!

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:45 pm

hahaha seriously. what about mystic, Catapole, Thermoflex.....Aluminum perchance? and i see no mention of any carbons, i know of three brands that have/do make carbon poles..... I think ill vote for Nordic. definitely.

Beam
PV Nerd

Unread postby Beam » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:20 pm

I like fiberglass poles the best. They bend way easier than steel, but don't break as easily as bamboo. Very nice product if you can get your hands on one. :D
"If you don't want to be
a deadbeat like me,
I won't blame you." Owen

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

showing my age LOL

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:27 pm

jhesch wrote:hahaha seriously. what about mystic, Catapole, Thermoflex.....Aluminum perchance? and i see no mention of any carbons, i know of three brands that have/do make carbon poles..... I think ill vote for Nordic. definitely.

Oh yes I know I am showing all my age but I remember the thermoflex pole it was called the RED pole that talked to you as it creaked every time you bent it farther. Made with centrifugal force spin method of impregnating and a low-pressure tape wrap system where they used shrink-wrap to provide pressure to the outside of the pole. You could see this shrink wrap tapeline on the pole.

One year they sold over 6,000 poles
and the steel aluminum poles they were shoulder jerkers
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

rebelvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby rebelvaulter » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:00 pm

I have always liked UCS Spirits the best, and wouldnt jump on anything besides them all year. But last week I jumped on Mystic Carbons for the first time ever, and I think I have found a new favorite :yes: too bad they are too expensive for me to buy! :no:

completemadness
PV Wannabe

Coach vs Athlete view!

Unread postby completemadness » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:56 pm

When I was competing I loved Fibersport poles, of course you needed to have shoulders like Jason Hinkin to use them, but that was a good thing too!

Now, with coaching from beginners to elite, I like the ESSX X-Logic system as it helps to make sure the consistency of the poles stays the same from 11' to 17'.

Pacer seem to be getting their act together a bit better and are working on the cost/weight issues which were the main reason for not using them.

UCS are great poles, and a lot of my beginners still use these, as well as a couple of my elite vaulters who prefer them because they are what they grew up with.

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:58 pm

only poles i ever used were ucs spirit, essx, adn skypoles. o and mystics too.... i like essx alot and only jumped on them a few times, but it seems to fling me up haha.. i also like spirit, cuase im used to them.. id have to say that them 2 r my fav. i don tlike skypoles but that might be because i was on too small of a pole and mystics ive only had one and i outgrown it but it wasnt that good i dont think.. o and ive also been on a lady rocket. heh i do my 2 step vaults on them. i think they r pretty cool. they launch me too haha. i wanna try a regular rocket pole though. they bend alot and so i think i have more time to try and get verticle and stuff.. ive also seen kids who have absolutely horrid form adn run but still get like 12 feet and stuff with one
i run, therefore im buff.

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:02 pm

arent rockest made by gill but sold by M-F??
i heard somewhere that they are like kind of a crappy skypole...i think they are bestflex callibrated and have the same weight label as gill poles

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:04 pm

Skyin' Brian wrote:arent rockest made by gill but sold by M-F??
i heard somewhere that they are like kind of a crappy skypole...i think they are bestflex callibrated and have the same weight label as gill poles

if i only knew wat that meant.. bestflex callibrated. hah..adn it might be.. never tried b4 bu ti think it would be cooler cuase it bends alot and wings u up into the air :) like my pv terms haha :P
i run, therefore im buff.

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:30 pm

I jumped 5.40 on a rocket yesterday. I need to order another one maybe a 13'6" this time.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”