Pit surface

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Pit surface

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:24 am

As we approach getting our new pits I'm trying to find a solution to the surface we place the pits on. Currently we have an all weather surface that is about 4' to narrow and 6' too shallow. (Tells you something about the pieces of %^$# I inherited when I started coaching). My main concern is behind the current area the gound starts to slopeaway in back. I believe that if for some reason we have altoonavault at our site :D he'll land on our pit but between his momentum and the sloping pit, it will carry him off the mats. (just kidding altoonavault) ;) . The fun part is the solution needs to be something I can do on my own. (It's taking us two years to pay for the pits and we still need standards and a ton of poles). I've thought of either building a platform out of 2x4s. or making a retaining wall (essentially) behind the current area and filling it in with gravel and toping it with sand. I'm afraid if it was all gravel, the gravel will tear the mat covers. Of course the retaining wall won't extend beyond the mats so there won't be anything to hit.

anyone have any other ideas or ways to improve on what I'm thinking????

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

use wooden skids

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:15 pm

we use wooden skids to keep our mats up off the ground. i'm sure you can find them easily somewhere at the school or a local store. most places just toss them out anyways. This way you can build up the back area with extra dirt/gravel/whatever, then place the skids on top to you don't have to worry about the gravel tearing up the mats. be sure that no skids are sicking out the sides and that the area between the back of the box and the mats is filled in. A badly placed plant in that gap will result in a broken pole as i learned the hard way :)
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”