advice on a pole, please

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

prueitt_r
PV Nerd

advice on a pole, please

Unread postby prueitt_r » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:49 am

hi,

I have a freshman boy, about 5'9", 154. He runs well. Currently on a 13 155 with a 19 flex. Bends it a lot on a five left run gripping at 12'. He had been using a 14 155 gripping at 12'9" from a 6 left run and having some success in practice. However, the pole broke, I suspect due to an unseen crack somewhere under the label. My question is, does anyone think he should move to a 13' 6" 155 or should we try to get another 14' 155. On the 14' pole, he was penetrating the 18" but barely at 12'9" grip and the pole flexed some but not a lot. I have not had a lot of vaulters who could bend a pole like this so any help would be appreciated. Also, we borrowed a 14 160(flex 18.3) and that did not work out at all. He was not able to penetrate 18" and came down on top of the crossbar everytime. Same for a 13 170(flex 15.2) pole we had.

Thanks,

littlewilson85
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: advice on a pole, please

Unread postby littlewilson85 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:53 pm

My personal opinion is to maybe try a 13' 160 and a 13' 165. Strive to get the vaulter jumping over their hand grip especially since he is a freshman. You have three years to get to a 14' and longer pole. Focus on technique and jumping 13'+ on 13' poles. You didn't mention how high he is jumping now so this post might be irrelevant.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: advice on a pole, please

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:13 pm

littlewilson85 wrote:Focus on technique and jumping 13'+ on 13' poles.
:yes:

It's hard to give advice on what pole to use without seeing vid of his technique, along with metrics. You gave us some metrics, but not enough. We need to know his PR on the poles and grips you referred to.

Grade? (or Age)
Height?
Weight?
100m speed?
PR? Previous years' PRs would also be helpful, so we understand their rate of progress and how many years he's been vaulting.
Standards settings?
Where is he usually landing in the pit? (You said on the bar, but we don't know where the standards were.) i.e. Is he landing in the Coach's Box?
Grip?
Pole weight, mfr, and flex?

You get the idea. Good metrics so far, we just need more of them.

So maybe start with a vid in the Video Review forum, rather than this thread in the Equipment forum?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”