evolution of poles

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Sun May 06, 2007 8:10 pm

i use 2 altius poles and neither one of them make any noise
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

pitchervy
PV Wannabe

Unread postby pitchervy » Sun May 06, 2007 10:34 pm

minijon wrote:altius poles make the coolest sounds. its like it hums as it bends and unbends. the coolest sound on the planet, it gives me goosebumbs everytime

Could it be the pole tip in the plant box? Or possibly the pole grinding against the back of the plant box? Are you using anything near the bottom of the pole to protect it when it bends and scraps against the back of the box?

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon May 07, 2007 1:36 am

Personally, I like jumping on a pole that has some weight to it.. like Spirits! Things that have no weight, like Carbon Ultra-Lights and the such.. well you wouldn't catch me using one in any kind of cross wind ;)
What have you done today to get better?

DecaRag
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Decathlete, 12 years coaching experience
Lifetime Best: 15'3"

Piezoelectric fibers

Unread postby DecaRag » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:28 pm

MightyMouse wrote:
achtungpv wrote:
MightyMouse wrote:I think pretty "soon" next 50 years a controversy may come up about poles that give you as much or more energy than you put in the pole... or maybe im way off on this 1,...

why yes you are... ;) ...I think you'd be breaking a law of physics with a pole that returns more energy that you put into it.

Well let me revise that statement: i am thinking on the lines of poles that have another mechanism in side of them, maybe like a pole that is made of a material that can tighen or loosen via electrical charge, so the pole will compensate mid jump for not enough penetration or to much, that way you will allways be on the correct weight pole
it could be called a smart pole

well after rereading this i am undoubtably crazy and or really tired, but hey its something to think about

I've noticed that Head has a tennis racket that uses piezoelectric fibers to help increase power and reduce shock. A chip in the handle work with these fibers to electronically produce more power at the impact of a tennis ball. According to an ad I saw on a website:

Head
If you like the latest technological advances, it's hard to find a more impressive line of tennis racquets than Head's Intelligence series. These racquets feature piezoelectric fibers, also known as Intellifibers, in the throat for incredible power without the accompanying shocks. Intellifibers found in the 3- and 9-O'clock positions improve control by preventing the racquet from twisting on mis-hits. The i.X16 Chip System racquet amplifies the Intellfibers power by 10 times to create a racquet that will electronically blow away your competition.

Could this be what we are looking for in a new generation of pole vault poles?

ESSX - I know you read these posts - what do you think???

Something to chew on...
Former Decathlete - West Texas State University '80-'84

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Interesting technology

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:49 pm

We use something similar in our Pole construction to maintain stability and no twisting..
We are the only pole company of the other 4 pole manufacturers that use a bi directional matte layup on our poles which we feel gives us more control of twisters over spiral layups.

However, Intellifibers is not the same technology we use as most other sports equipment such as hockey sticks, golf shafts, and tennis rackets do not flex or bend as much as a vaulting pole. Having a very stiff Intellifiber structure does have an affect on the elbows and arms more than conventional equipment and the manufacturers are puting dampaning fibers to reduce the shock if such a stiff racket or stick.
Most carbon in golf shafts and Hockey sticks is of the highest quality they experience a % of Breakage the pole industry cannot allow.

While most vaulting pole companies that use carbon material choose a strain to ratio of 1.1 to 1.8 %
We maintain the use of a material that provides our carbon poles a strain to ratio of over 2.1 % This kind of charachteristics is only found in T-700. In order to buy this carbon fiber we have to sign a document that we will not use the T-700 material for weapons of mass destruction.
I guess we will have to refrain from bows and arrows from our line in the future grin.
Bruce ESSX

DecaRag
PV Fan

Intellifibers in tennis/skis/snowboards - what about poles?

Unread postby DecaRag » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:22 am

I was interested in whether manufacturers have any thoughts about the Intellifibers technology in the future - not for the dampening or non-twisting features but for the potential of amplifying electronically the power a vaulter puts into the pole. Looks like this technology could lead to customizable poles based on fiber and chip capabilities.

Is there a breakage issue with Intellifibers?

Hey, I'm a technology teacher as well as vault coach - I like to "blue sky" think sometimes. Do you ever see pole technology going in this direction?

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

the Intellafibers technology

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:36 am

the Intellafibers technology does place carbon fibers in differrent directions against each other. WHile the part or the sports object does not bend as much as a vaulting pole breakage and inner delaminar failure is less that that if the same technology is used in vaulting poles.
Because a vaultng poles bend out of line greater than tennis rackets, golf shafts, and hockey sticks inner delaminar failure will result if one was using this method. The technology is based on very stiff parts that do not bend. We do have to keep our eyes open to new technology as something for something else may appear to be usefull in our industry
Bruce ESSX

DecaRag
PV Fan

OK

Unread postby DecaRag » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:47 am

Thanks for the reply. This makes sense now that you put it that way. I can't think of any other sports equipment that is dependent on that much bend except for maybe archery - and like you mentioned, pole vault is not like bows and arrows.

I'm still amazed with the fiberglass and carbon technologies we have now...

Hey, by the way - have you ever heard of a recent lightweight honeycomb pole? A vaulter just this week I visited with in Tulsa at a summer USATF J.O. meet mentioned he thought Pacer has one - is this true?

primetime614
PV Wannabe
Expertise: "Soul" Vaulter - choose academics over athletics in college :/

Unread postby primetime614 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:36 am

i'd like to say that i use a 12'4'' skpole that is really old (it's blue not green) and a 13' UCS and the UCS id a lighter even though it is 8" longer.
PR: 13'6"
Dist. Runner: Hey, are you ganna win today?
Me: What else would I do Lose!?!

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”