evolution of poles

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

evolution of poles

Unread postby bjvando » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:46 pm

Has anyone noticed that many pole companies ( besides UCS... i think) are trying to make their poles lighter and lighter..?

Just a thought: Can a pole be too light?

taking into consideration that a lighter pole is correlated with being easier to break, but with technology advancements, the lighter pole is just as strong as the heavier pole. AND a heavy pole feels like you wont' be able to get in. Is there any correlation between the physical weight of the pole and the actual 'stiffness' of the pole- psychologically?

Does anyone feel wierd running with a pole that is so light you can hardly tell it's there? I know i feel wierd with a light pole, but i'm 6' 3", 200lbs so i feel like i'm goign to break everything..........

sorry about the rambling.. :o
just a thought.. anyone feel the same way?
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:07 pm

As long as the pole has the same strength, then I think a pole is only too light if a person gets psychologically freaked out by it.

Sometimes if a light pole is stiffer than you think it is, you might not hit it hard enough the first time and get stood up.

txpolevaulter33
PV Beginner

Unread postby txpolevaulter33 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:47 pm

In the past, lighter poles have not given me a since of security. It felt as if I was running down there holding on to almost nothing, so I switched pole types.
Every waisted vault is a waisted opportunity

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:03 am

I think pretty "soon" next 50 years a controversy may come up about poles that give you as much or more energy than you put in the pole... or maybe im way off on this 1,
Wouldnt it be cool to run a 11 sec 100 and jump 20 feet in the air...
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:05 am

MightyMouse wrote:I think pretty "soon" next 50 years a controversy may come up about poles that give you as much or more energy than you put in the pole... or maybe im way off on this 1,...

why yes you are... ;) ...I think you'd be breaking a law of physics with a pole that returns more energy that you put into it.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:06 am

physics, conservation of energy......so this won't be possible....poles won't even be able to conserve 100% of energy that you put into it due to friction, sound, etc.
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:24 pm

Pole vault poles make cool sounds :dazed:
i think before my days are done.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:28 pm

OAKPV2004 wrote:Pole vault poles make cool sounds :dazed:

Interlake HS (in WA) has this one Altius pole that makes the worst rattling noises when they use it... but I've seen their kids take 1000 jumps on it and nothing bad has happened yet :P

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:00 am

wacky274 wrote:physics, conservation of energy......so this won't be possible....poles won't even be able to conserve 100% of energy that you put into it due to friction, sound, etc.

physics.. HUH your too caught up in that .. all there is to pole vault is a pole and a run and a vault. it is that simple :P

(i wish)

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

LESS WEIGHT or LESS CARRY WEIGHT??

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:15 pm

LESS WEIGHT or LESS CARRY WEIGHT??
There is a big difference between lighter poles and poles with a lighter carry weight. If you take less stiffer glass out you must add in stiffer glass, not lighter glass just less of it which makes the pole lighter.

At ESSX we strive for a lighter carry weight rather than an over all lightness! Sometimes taking glass out reduces the ability for the pole to store energy and to store energy for a longer period.
Optimum is a glass with the best memory. with exception;
A glass that returns faster than the true pendulum action or the timing of the vault is useless. You will be flagging or chasing the pole.
This type of design will require you to initiate a premature pull to keep up with the pole.

SO as manufacturers reduce overall weight they must add stiffness which could speed pole action up, unless they know how to temper or dampen the CARBON OR the magic ingredients!!

http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:44 am

achtungpv wrote:
MightyMouse wrote:I think pretty "soon" next 50 years a controversy may come up about poles that give you as much or more energy than you put in the pole... or maybe im way off on this 1,...

why yes you are... ;) ...I think you'd be breaking a law of physics with a pole that returns more energy that you put into it.

Well let me revise that statement: i am thinking on the lines of poles that have another mechanism in side of them, maybe like a pole that is made of a material that can tighen or loosen via electrical charge, so the pole will compensate mid jump for not enough penetration or to much, that way you will allways be on the correct weight pole
it could be called a smart pole

well after rereading this i am undoubtably crazy and or really tired, but hey its something to think about
19 Years Old

Coach: Val Osipenko

"Hard work never goes to waste"

Petrov/Launder student

minijon
PV Newbie

Unread postby minijon » Sun May 06, 2007 8:00 pm

altius poles make the coolest sounds. its like it hums as it bends and unbends. the coolest sound on the planet, it gives me goosebumbs everytime
Don't think about it, just do it.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”