Pole damage signs

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

1kickinchicken
PV Newbie

Pole damage signs

Unread postby 1kickinchicken » Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:11 pm

how can you tell if your pole has damage or not (and i'm not talking about big cracks in the fiberglass or ne thing like that, i mean small things)? oh yeah, and what do you do if you can't use your old pole anymore (because you've gained muscle/weight) and so you have to use a new one but this new pole won't bend for you no matter what you do? :dazed:
um..yeah

jomrus
PV Whiz

New Pole

Unread postby jomrus » Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:47 pm

How much do you weigh, what pole are you trying to get on, and what pole were you on before?

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Take care of those poles with STP

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:34 pm

I used to have a STP label on my pole, you know the motor additive stuff. For STOP THAT POLE

You cannot let a piece of glass (yes glass) ding the standard, fall on the ground or be stepped on by the competition with their spikes. YIKES it happens and when it does your pole can break on any subsequent jump. It can break anytime as that is a stress area and if the energy crosses that weak area it will not hold. So you jumped on it and you say it is OK No way JOSE! It can break at anytime on any jump. I have seen poles last no jumps 1-10 jumps, but it will always break.

DO NOT JUMP ON ANY POLE THAT IS CRACKED, NICKED, SPIKED, OR HAS FALLEN ON THE GROUND!!!

Oh if the new pole does not bend you went to a longer pole when you should of gone to a stiffer pole the same length.

Bruce Caldwell
ESSXsport Corp.
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

1kickinchicken
PV Newbie

Unread postby 1kickinchicken » Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:26 pm

ok, i used to use a 120lbs 13'6 pole but i need to move to a 130lbs pole. the only 130 we have is 12'6ft and no matter what i do i wont bend. i need tips, help, suggestions as to why i can't bend this stupid small pole and what i can do to fix the problem. as far as pole damage goes....i think we had better start catchin those poles in practice!! :dazed:
um..yeah

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

1kickinchicken possible solution for you

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:36 am

Yes there is a possible reason! In 1995, a several companies refined their flex chart to allow a better range and more realistic flex and rating system.

You may have a pole that was never turned in or was never re-rated.
If this is the case, in some smaller poles they were like marked 120lbs. but when re-rated they were 150-160 lbs poles.
I suggest you contact the manufacturer, as this sounds like this is your problem.

Bruce Caldwell
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

1kickinchicken
PV Newbie

Unread postby 1kickinchicken » Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:19 pm

the 130 is an older pole but it's not that old. my friend who's about 140 lbs seems to bend it great so your explanation seems about right. : ) is there any way i could get it to bend though?
um..yeah

ctvaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby ctvaulter » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:05 am

better take-0ff...a guy weighiung 130 should be able to jump 150 no problem

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”