Why doesn't UCS make poles for girls like it does for boys?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

coachcortazzo
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Why doesn't UCS make poles for girls like it does for boys?

Unread postby coachcortazzo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:50 am

Skyfly,

They are jumping 11' and if I am at a meet and just need a little grip, I don't have an option that is legal with UCS. I appreciate your trying to help with coaching tips, but the problem remains that a good jumper holding at the tape, which is lower on UCS than any other pole, that just needs a little more "grip" doesn't have on option AT A MEET to progress. Joe Dial broke the HS national record jumping on a 120 pound pole, so not every jumper needs stiffer, some just need grip and other than jumping on a pole that is rated lower that your kids weight, which I understand is what many coaches do to have a "cheat" solution, the fact remains in a completion when you are trying to move up a little this doesn't work with UCS's line. I have a HS freshman girl that jumped 11' and a sophomore that jumped 10'9" and this issue applies to both of them.

coachcortazzo
PV Newbie

Unread postby coachcortazzo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:01 pm

Shkyfkly, one more quick thing, you are asking me to have a kid jump holding a pole in an area that UCS says isn't safe. If they get hurt and I get sued, it is an open and shut case. This is exactly the point that is so frustrating to me...my only option if I want to stay with UCS is to do something that is unsafe for my athlete. I guess I should just use a different brand like everyone else is suggesting, but as a business owner and a coach it is crazy to me that is the solution when all UCS has to do is make a 12'7" pole. It is a gaping hole in their line.

Thank you for all of your suggestion, I really do appreciate them. We just shouldn't have to even have this conversation if the company considered the needs and safety of their customers.

Cat lady
PV Beginner
Expertise: Pole Vaulter's wife
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby Cat lady » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:34 am

Coach, at the risk of making the discussion more complicated, one option is to find/purchase a 13foot pole in the weight you need with the highest flex number. As you know a very soft 110 is essentially a very, very stiff 105.
You could always change brands. We don't always have control over what large companies do or do not do. Trying to get your athlete a pole that works for her is the goal here. It is possible that your vaulter may do better with another brand. Only one way to find out.
Skyfly, why would you want to impede a vaulter from increasing her grip when she can safely do so? Is it not possible that an increase in grip height may improve her timing and aid in her progress? Keeping a low grip may not necessarily mean an improvement in technique. Besides, if her technique is solid, why not?
You are correct about the weight rating rule. It is, in a word , a drag.

Mickster
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Unread postby Mickster » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:14 am

I know I am late coming to this discussion but I enjoyed it too much to not contribute. I too coach high school and have pretty good female vaulter (5'10" tall, fast, leaps like a deer, with freakishly long arms, 11' 6 PR, 16 yrs old). I inherited a collection of varying pole brands. My 13' series is all UCS but everything smaller is Altius (throw in a few pacers, sky poles, and even cata-poles). Rainbow girl is dead-on stating the Altius poles are way softer than Spirit which can significantly affect transitioning between pole brands. My girl vaults 11'6" gripping 12'6" - I know not the best technique, lots of room for improvement, but,,,,higher grips seem to help her because it gives her more time to swing and invert. Remember she is tall, fast, has incredible vertical jumping ability and long arms. She finished last year gripping 12' 6" on an Altius 13' 6" 130# pole. My math says that grip makes it effectively a 140# pole and she weighs 115lbs. Should be ready to move up to my 13' Spirits - which she has been doing some in winter workouts. The problem - Spirt poles are way stiffer than the Altius, so moving from one pole to the next is somewhat difficult for her and really difficult for me to "manage" in my own mind. One solution I have employed is to flex test every pole at multiple grips. e.g 13' Spirit is flex tested at 11' & 12' and my 12' 4" Altius is tested at 10', 11', & 12'. I realize that pole design / sail piece affects this somewhat, but it gives me a series of numbers to look at when chosing which pole to transition her to when conditions warrant. In my experience, if I watch these numbers and grip height - it really minimizes problems for the kids when transitioning between pole brands, lengths, and weight ratings. I cant blame UCS for chosing to limit their pole offerings. My request to them is that they put the weight band on top of the pole so a 13' pole can be gripped at 13'. Just my 2 cents worth. Now, I just have to figure out which poles to order in February in anticipation of what she will "need" this spring............

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”