Chase Kear (Hutchinson CC) Critically Injured

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Chase Kear (Hutchinson CC) Critically Injured

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:10 pm

http://www.thekansan.com/news/x28236317 ... l-critical

Injured Kansas pole vaulter still critical

The Associated Press
Posted Oct 07, 2008 @ 10:19 AM
HUTCHINSON —
A Hutchinson Community College student injured while pole vaulting remains hospitalized in critical condition.

College spokesman Steve Carpenter said Monday that Chase Kear is in a drug-induced coma but is showing signs of improvement.

Carpenter says the 19-year-old student has not made any steps backward since Friday.

Kear is a sophomore from Colwich and a member of the college’s track and field team.

He was taken by helicopter Thursday from Gowans Stadium to a Wichita hospital after suffering a head injury at practice.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Chase Kear (Hutchinson CC) Critically Injured

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:33 pm

http://www.hutchnews.com/Newsbriefs/hcckear

HCC's Kear listed as critical after pole vaulting accident

A Hutchinson Community College athlete is in critical condition at a Wichita hospital after being injured while pole vaulting Thursday, a college spokesman said Friday night.

Chase Kear, 19, a sophomore from Colwich and a member of HCC's track and field team, was airlifted directly from Gowans Stadium to Via Christi Regional Medical Center, St. Francis campus, said Steve Carpenter, HCC sports information director.

Kear, a graduate of Andale High School, was at practice when he suffered the head injury.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:36 pm

Here is his bio on his school's website: http://hutchcc.edu/dragons/redsite/Trac ... e_kear.htm

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:38 pm

There is a Facebook group for him:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33423736999
Thursday afternoon while pole vaulting at Huchtinson Community College, he missed the mat & landing on his head. Causing severe brain trauma & was life watched to Via Christi St. Francis. He went through surgery Friday afternoon & everything is doing well but he is still in critical condition. Please keep him & his family in your prayers:)

this is clay. Pressures came down over night. which means he is more stable. And he is reacting to some stimulus. Whcih is really good and encourageing. Please Pray .

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:52 pm

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/30590214.html

FAMILY OF INJURED COLWICH POLE VAULTER SPEAKS TO KSN

COLWICH, Kansas, October 7, 2008 – A Colwich teenager remains in critical condition nearly one week after a pole vaulting accident at Hutchinson Community College. Now, for the first time, his family is speaking out.

It’s been a day to day struggle for the Kear family ever since their oldest son, Chase, was critically injured in a pole vaulting accident. The sophomore at Hutchinson Community College was airlifted to Wichita Thursday where doctors put him in a medically induced coma.

"His brain pressure wasn't holding up as well as they wanted it to," said Chase’s mom, Paula.

Chase was practicing smaller jumps when the accident happened. Apparently instead of shooting him up, the pole flung him forward past the pit, where he landed head first into the ground.

The Kear’s are still a bit surprised that Chase’s injury is so serious.

"I vaulted in college and so I knew what he experienced, and I've done the same thing a lot of vaulters have and usually you just bounce and flip over the mat and you jump right back up and go on, but I guess he didn't jump up,” said Chase’s father, Paul.

Right now, the family doesn’t know when Chase will wake up or how bad his brain is injured.

"We take baby steps forward and baby steps back, nothing great forward, and thank God nothing great back,” Paula said.

The Kear’s are so grateful for the support they’ve received so far, which has helped them through the difficult days.

"I want to thank them all, and please keep praying, please, please, please,” Paula said.

Chase may have a long road ahead, but the Kear’s are hopeful he’ll make a full recovery.

The mayor of Colwich has set up a fund to help the family with medical expenses. Donations can be dropped off at city hall, which is located at 310 S. 2nd St. in Colwich. Or you can call 316-796-1025 for more information.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:47 pm

From Facebook:
Thursday 9, 4:40PM

He blinked his eyes, fingers twiched, has hik-ups, and knees twiched. They also told us to take his favorite movie in there. So he has the office in there right now. Keep prayin.

Thursday 9, 10:50AM

He made it through the surgery and looks much much better and all the tubes are out. His pressure is stable. His temp. is regular. Thats pretty much it and PLEASE KEEP PRAYIN.

Thursday 9, 8:50AM

He had a stable night and is going to have the trach surgery. So Pray Pray Pray for this surgery to be a success. Keep Prayin.

Wednesday 8, 8:50PM

He is still holding steady. They took him totaly off the coma med.s so thats GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT. Please keep prayin cause he isnt out of the woods yet and he still has to get the trake tube in so keep praying. Thanks and we love evryone out there that is prayin. Thanks.
P.S. HE is blinking his eyes a little.

Wednesday 8, 5:30 PM

He's still holding steady. Hasn't really been much change, but this is a good thing. If he continues to remain stable, they can move forward with him starting tmr. When the nurse was checking his arm for a blood clot, he tried to pull his arm away! Keep praying!!

Wednesday 8, 10:50AM

Chase had a good night. Around 4:00 AM he started to respond to the pain stimulse. He has done that ever since. They have a radio playing. When we left his pressure was at 2. Keep prayin

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:20 am

From Facebook:
Friday 10, 4:40

His head pressure is at 16 which is great and his eyes were following us. He is going to be on some pain medicine soon cause they said he can feel pain. Keep prayin and we will be talking to him soon. Keep prayin.

Friday 10, 10:00AM

He is still sedated from the surgery so he has very little reactions. His pressures all staid steady through the night. Thats about it he is doing pretty good please keep prayin.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:28 pm

Facebook:
Sunday 12, 9:30PM

His numbers are holding steady. He's doing exactly what he should be. They are weining him off of the saline solution he was on (it helps decrease pressure in the brain) and they said he should be totally off that by midnight tonight, so yay for one less I.V.!! They also turned down the ventilator so it is controlling his breathing at a slower rate and he's beginning to initiate strong breathes on his own again!

Sunday 12, 2:00PM

He had a peaceful night. They did what they call a 'sedation holiday' and they did some tests on him. He's still withdrawing from pain and opening his eyes. They did what the nurse called a sternum rub where she rubs his sternum hard and sees if the patient responds. He did respond and tried to reach for her hand to make her stop! Please keep praying.

Saturday 11, 10:00PM

Hey all, sorry for the no news. He's had a very stable day with no real changes. He's controlling his numbers very well, so we're all very excited about that. He's still slightly sedated and probably will remain that way for a while because of the amount of healing he has to do. He's blinking and opening his eyes more, so we're very excited for every little improvment. All our prayers are working!! Keep the prayers and good thoughts coming please!!

Saturday 11, 10:00AM

He held steady through the night, doctors are still keeping him sudated, chest x-ray shows lungs are better, head pressure is staying down.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:57 am

These say Sunday but they are actually from Monday:
Sunday 13, 9:30PM

He's holding strong. He was just finishing up a treatment when we went in, so he was pretty tired. A pretty uneventful visit, but it was in a good way. His pressures are good and his breathing is good and we're hoping for another good night. Say your prayers tonight please!

Sunday 13, 5:30PM

His numbers are continuing to look amazing! He's inititating breathes on his own and they are looking good as well. He squeezed his mom's and his girlfriend's hands today. Earlier today, we saw him move his arms in a way that looked like a stretch. He lifted his arms off the pillows and reached up. He was having issues with his neck brace digging in to his collar bone, and when the nurse was looking at it and moving it, he raised his arm up as if to stop her. God is really working wonders with Chase! Please keep praying!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:53 am

October 14, 9:30PM

He's still moving around a little bit. Moving his arms around and squeezing people's hands. He's kinda tracking still, both people's voices and hands when they move slow enough. Yay for Chase!! Keep up the praying!

Tuesday 14, 7:50PM

At 4:30 he reached for a nurse, squeezed another ones hand on command, and tracked with his eyes as you when one nurse walked in front of him. He aslo sort of blew Teal and my mom a kiss. KEEP PRAYIN'

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:20 pm

October 20, 9:20AM

Chase was moved last night at around 12:00AM. He was moved to 8 SE room 8041. He had a great night sleep and was still sleeping this morning. About ten minutes ago some nurses came in and stood him up. When they stood him up he reached for a table to keep himself up and raised his head to see us. When they put him back down they asked him to move his legs as high as he could and he didn't get to far but he moved both legs. They asked him to move his arms and he did that to. He started to dibbleing out some spit and the nurse gave him a kleenex and he wipped his own mouth. This is a huge step and this is where prayers are needed most ON THE WAY TO RECOVERY.

P.S. even though he is in his own room we still need to limit the amount of visitors. Thank-you and KEEP PRAYIN'

October 19, 9:50PM

At the 8:30 visit he was awake and moving around. He is suppossed to be moved out of ICU this evening. Which is great and yet another big step forward. The first step on the way home has begun.

October 18, 9:30PM

Chase was wide awake for our last visit of the day. He squeezed hands when asked to. His movements are becoming much faster. When his mom and dad were leaving him alone with Teal, he grabbed Teal by the hand and forearm and pulled as if he was trying to sit up. He even moved his legs! We took that as if he was trying to get out of bed. He gave mom another kiss, and even leaned up to get a kiss from Teal. Please pray for a good night and continued improvements!

October 18, 5:30PM

He is awake and he is moving his left leg a hole bunch. When we were in there he tried to take the trach tube out and we had to stop him. I dont thnk he will try to take it out again. He gave my mom and Teal kises on the lips. The nurses said they got him to put 1 finger up then 2 and then he gave them a thumbs up. He also waved a little. He put his hand up to Teal's face. I also saw his feet moving and wanted to see them move so i started moving some blankets and he growled at me very loudly and moved his leg away. but he is ok now. KEEP PRAYIN'

October 18, 10:00AM

We went and saw him and he has his neck brace off and
he was sound asleep. They put something on the trach tube and can talk we he figures it out he hasnt yet but hopefully soon. Keep Prayin

October 17, 5:00PM

When we went in, Chase was wide awake. He appeared to be stretc8hing his legs! All signs are good and everyone's really excited! Pray, pray, pray!!

October 17, 3:00PM

Sorry for the slow updates... it's been busy! They put the valve on Chase's trach so that he can talk now!! He hasn't said anything yet, but they said that's not unusual. He's got to learn how to talk on that thing cuz it's different than us talking. The therapists have been working with him and are all very pleased and impressed with his progress!! Keep praying for our miracle man, Chase!!

October 16, 2:00PM

Chase didn't have much of a change from this morning's visit. He's still on the trach shield and breathing great on his own. He was sleeping for most of our visit again. Please keep praying for his continuing recovery.

October 16, 10:15AM

Chase was sleeping peacefully when we went in for our morning visit. They took the head pressure monitoring probe out of his head! His numbers have been so stable for the past few days that they aren't worried about that anymore. He woke briefly while we were in there and moved the muscles around his mouth! Therapists are going to try to come in and start evaluating today.

October 15, 9:20PM

Chase was wide awake when we went in to his room just now. We think that he recognized all of us! He continues to respond to nurse's commands. He actually reached across his chest to grab Teal's hand. He is completely off the ventilator!! He is now breathing TOTALLY on his own, with only supplemental oxygen running by him. He even turned his head slightly from side to side! What a wonderful sign of the power of prayer! Keep it up please!!

October 15, 10:00AM

Chase continues to show signs that he is with us. He is off the pain IV and the sedation drug. He is responding to the nurse's commands and really tracking with his eyes. He's breathing completely on his own!! He still has the ventilator, but only if he needs it. Every breath he took while we were in there was completely his own!! His breathes are very strong and constant. His pressure has remained at levels that the doctors consider normal. Please continue to pray... He's gonna be back 100% soon!

October 14, 9:30PM

He's still moving around a little bit. Moving his arms around and squeezing people's hands. He's kinda tracking still, both people's voices and hands when they move slow enough. Yay for Chase!! Keep up the praying!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:00 am

October 23, 5:30PM

Sorry i havent updated but we didnt now we had a wireless connection at Weasley. Chase is now in Weasley at 13th and Tyler. He is doing great. They stood him up today to see if he would walk with a walker and someone with him and he took 45 steps in all then the nurse had to stop him cause she didnt want him to do to much. He has a private room but we still need to limit the visitors.
SOORY YET AGAIN I'LL TRY TO KEP UP TO DATE. KEEP PRAYIN'.

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”