Creatine

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
sduvinage
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 3.97
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Creatine

Unread postby sduvinage » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:07 am

I have found small comments on creatine in this forum but not really an over all idea of it.
What are your opinions on creatine?
Do the benefits outweigh risks such as weight gain? Is it for vaulting?
If one should use it, what age would it be safe to use?
Experiences and other comments would be greatly appreciated.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Creatine

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:02 pm

Probably not worth your money at the moment. Maybe in college... maybe. :idea: :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:53 pm

I agree that its probably not worth it. Focus on the technique, across all platforms (i.e. sprinting technique, vaulting technique, jumping technique for the takeoff) before worrying to much about strengthening. Like pp said, perhaps in college, but I still wouldn't recommend it. You'll get fast enough through sprinting, plyos, and an effective workout routine, and hopefully you'll do it without excessive weight gain (especially above the waist). If you ever do try it, find someone who knows a lot about it, because I'm 99% sure that what it says on the container is way more than you need.
-Nick

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:17 pm

I took creatine, definately not worth its weight in the vault; or the $$
On a whole new level 6-20-09

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:36 pm

Eat good freshly cooked food and train smart . . .

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:02 pm

It was on my DI banned substance list this year... my guess is it is a certain level since it is found in food. But I took it in high school and found it to work well for building strength, but who knows, maybe I was just hitting puberty.

kcvault
PV Pro
Expertise: College vaulter, post collegiate vaulter, BA kinesiology,
Lifetime Best: 5.40m
Favorite Vaulter: Annie Burlingham

Unread postby kcvault » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Eat good freshly cooked food and train smart .

You will see greater gains with strength and health by doing this then anything else. Also many of the long term effects of creatine are not yet known.

your body metabolizes vitamins and nutrients much easier when it gets it from natural foods, then when getting them from multi vitamins and supplements.

---Kasey

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:58 am

Keep in mind that Creatine is naturally produced by the body, unless someone can cite where they think the NCAA banned creatine that is probably incorrect.

In lay terms creatine pushes slightly more energy into the muscle (atp/cp system) during the recovery process, which allow for more reps during a work out.

Meanwhile it needs to be used properly, because it has to do with recovery it ties into use with the filtering from the kidneys, it is thought that if used improperly kidney stones can ensue...

Talk to a doctor or an RD but the punch line is it needs to be used just like a tapered scale w/ pairing on training scale, (use it for 2 weeks off for 2-3)
Last edited by bel142 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeffschu
PV Beginner
Expertise: High school Coach

Unread postby jeffschu » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:56 am

I have been taking Creatine since the 9th grade and I am now 28. It is the best overall supp on the market. NO it is NOT A STEROID. If you are a hardgainer and you are working you butt off in the gym it will not hurt you, you might gain weight but that is coming from more water. I am a true believer in taking supplements the big two Protein and Creatine have been in my house since I started to train hard. I have never had any long term side effects I think I would know by now. As far as price you got to be kidding me go to bodybuilding.com and get a tub it will last you 3 months. If you would like any info PM me and I can give you the low down on brands and kind to get.

Divalent
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent
Lifetime Best: 0-00.00

Unread postby Divalent » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:42 pm

VaultPurple wrote:It was on my DI banned substance list this year...

From the Wikipedia article on creatine suppliments (so treat it as potentially suspect): "Creatine use is not considered doping and is not banned by the majority of sport-governing bodies. However, in the United States, the NCAA recently ruled that colleges could not provide creatine supplements to their players, though the players are still allowed to obtain and use creatine independently."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine_supplements

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:35 pm

small dosages can be very beneficial. creatine monohydrate by itself is near dirt cheap. GNC has it for 8 dollars for 250 grams. There is not much need to take more than 4-5 grams per day so that is a daily cost of about 16 cents. Take it with some grape juice pre and post workout. Creatine is a vital part of your bodies recovery process and can also help extend workouts its your pushing pretty hard. There is the a little bit of weight gain from storing excess water but, its 1-2 lbs, 3 max if your not taking way too much of it. As a high school athlete its not likely that your running yourself that ragged to need it. But in college with all the other stresses and late nights, a little bit of extra help makes a big difference. Just make sure to deal real research
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:36 pm

My unprofessional opinion is that most people don't need it and can obtain the benefits through better diet and smarter training. Your strength-to-weight ratio is very important in the pole vault, so anyone who tends to be a bit on the bigger side should avoid it at all costs. If you're one of those guys that eats 5,000 calories a day and is still 5'10 135 pounds, then creatine probably won't hurt you, and may or may not help you.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”