NCAA outdoor schedule

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

NCAA outdoor schedule

Unread postby kev44000 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Can someone shed some light on this schedule. In the past was there not pre-lims then the final another day. From this the vault is a final only.http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/8b6 ... 0a72367204

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: NCAA outdoor schedule

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:20 pm

The "regional" meets are now the preliminary round.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:54 pm

My understanding is top 48 marks in each region go to regionals and the top 12 at regionals go to nationals. Regional competition will end as soon as there are 12 remaining. So we could be have the competition of the century with 12 girls over 14 and they will stop there and say " OK you 12 made it to the next round" Fans will love that I'm sure. Who came up with this new two regions anyway?
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:15 pm

CowtownPV wrote:My understanding is top 48 marks in each region go to regionals and the top 12 at regionals go to nationals. Regional competition will end as soon as there are 12 remaining. So we could be have the competition of the century with 12 girls over 14 and they will stop there and say " OK you 12 made it to the next round" Fans will love that I'm sure. Who came up with this new two regions anyway?

Some speculate that coaches who hate regionals and want to go back to the old mark chasing system are behind it. The idea is to make a meet so horrible, that everyone will abandon it.

That's one theory anyway.

zipsDIGSpv
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach

Unread postby zipsDIGSpv » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:00 pm

They are already asking coaches to look at new proposals for 2011...so before we even see it once they already know that it is so bad that they are trying to figure out how to change it next year. It's bad for fans and the sport to keep changing the format!
I beat my body and make it my slave
-I Corinthians 9:26-27

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Unread postby drcurran » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:26 am

I'll be working at the East version of this in Greensboro, NC and I've only heard a couple of things about how it will be run. For one thing - two pits of course, and one bar can not move up until the other pit is ready so we "move up" together. The other "item" I don't know about - Will ties be broken to get to the top 12, or will all who make the "12th place bar" get to move on? Going to be very interesting.

Dan
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

zipsDIGSpv
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach

Unread postby zipsDIGSpv » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:27 am

They will have a jump-off for any ties for 12th place...they have said that they will take exactly 12 in each event. This will only apply to athletes that are tied for that 12th spot because once the top 12 is established the competition is over and no winner of the "first round" will be determined.
I beat my body and make it my slave

-I Corinthians 9:26-27

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:20 am

I'm sorry, but what a load of horse s***. Someone needs to walk into these meetings and knock some sense into these morons the old fashion way. Way to ruin it for the athletes you bunch of selfish pricks. The regional system had enough problems already, but at least people understood it. Now this. Send a bunch of kids to a huge meet, then shut it down when 12 are left. And run 48 athletes at once, on two different runways.
I'd hate to see how that would carry over to a running event in reality. There are 12 guys out front, 400m into a 1500m so they fire the gun to tell them the race is over and those 12 get to go to NCAA Nationals in the 1500. Not quite the same, I know. But at least in EVERY event but vault and high jump there will be outright winners (with some ties of course). They wont call you a winner though, they'll call you a qualifier, who is no better than 12th, cause who really wants to be a winner anyway, that's not why people compete.
By the way, word on the street is that one of the designers that help build the track at Texas says its unfair and has 2 very different runways (soft for practice, hard for competition). Maybe someone on here can elaborate on this? So make sure your one of the 24 athletes on the hard one, especially if your a guy, since almost all the top vaulters in the nation are in that region, and this system is going to leave several of you at home on the weekend of Nationals along with a lot of track and field fans that would normally buy tickets to Regionals and Finals. I am dumbfounded by the utter stupidity of the NCAA.

Lets amend this thing again:
I think we should fly all the qualifying athletes somewhere really expensive (since no ones programs have taken massive budget cuts in the past two years....) Give them one dart, blind fold them, turn them in a circle and let them throw at the board, closest 12 to the bulls eye in each event get to go to the show. I should mail in my proposal, they'd probably consider it.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:28 am

Very few facilities with two runways have two runways that are truly equal, usually the crown of the field is one of many factors.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:30 am

Also, how many pole vault coaches are actively involved with the USTFCCA? You guys gotta attend the meetings where they make these decisions and make your voice heard!

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:44 am

When they first started regionals I was told that it was to foster competition and make it more like basketball to attract fans. Well in BB if all the top teams are in the East they put them in different regions not based on geography. This two region does nothing to bring out the fans. The best I heard is that only 48 will go, no ties, so you have to keep up with what attempt you cleared 12' on and how many misses you had.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:40 pm

CowtownPV wrote:When they first started regionals I was told that it was to foster competition and make it more like basketball to attract fans. Well in BB if all the top teams are in the East they put them in different regions not based on geography. This two region does nothing to bring out the fans. The best I heard is that only 48 will go, no ties, so you have to keep up with what attempt you cleared 12' on and how many misses you had.

Yeah but in basketball it's just one event. In track you have many events. The east has always been much stronger in the sprints, the west much stronger in the pole vault, etc etc. There's no perfect way to divvy things up.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”