Run and plant help!

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Timm9
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kevin fagan

Run and plant help!

Unread postby Timm9 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Ok so I'm having trouble with my steps or something and then converting to the planting. I run fast and smooth but when I get to the box to plant I do this studder stepping thing, this studder stepping is really slowing me down. I move my steps and try to redo getting my steps but no matter what I do it everytime. I know you may be saying it's just me as a habit doing it but I do it because my steps never seem to be right and I don't know how to fix it. I cleared 11 at my last meet while still having this problem but I'm sure this is keeping me from getting higher than what I can actually get. I don't know if this helps but i'm a sophmore and weight 132 and on a 140 12'9" pole. If you need any more info about it just ask. Help is appreciated.

drew
PV Beginner
Expertise: Volunteer High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Sergey Bubka

Re: Run and plant help!

Unread postby drew » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 pm

Your best bet is to go from short runs (approx. 6 steps) and then build back up to your full run.

MattM
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Unread postby MattM » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:48 pm

Just do things short, and right, and then work your way up. Start with 3 strides and don't stutter step. Once you've got that then move to 4 strides. Once you've got that down move to 5 strides. If your PR is 11 then you should probably only be going from a 6 stride anyways, so after you've been going from 5 move to a 6. Odds are you're going to have to re-adjust your steps too since you won't be stutter stepping.

Timm9
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kevin fagan

Unread postby Timm9 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:34 pm

MattM wrote:Just do things short, and right, and then work your way up. Start with 3 strides and don't stutter step. Once you've got that then move to 4 strides. Once you've got that down move to 5 strides. If your PR is 11 then you should probably only be going from a 6 stride anyways, so after you've been going from 5 move to a 6. Odds are you're going to have to re-adjust your steps too since you won't be stutter stepping.

Thanks. I'll work on doing that tomorrow. I need to get it right because are conference meet is thursday and so I really don't want to humiliate myself.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:52 pm

The advice you've been given on here so far is good. :yes:

I'd just like to add that it might help if you mark EVERY step on the runway with tape. Not in a meet ... just in practice. You'll need help in spotting EVERY step, then putting down the tape. Then when you run, you should run by hitting EVERY tape mark. Do this WITHOUT the pole ... and WITH the pole.

This will implant the idea in your brain that there's a set length for EVERY step, and you MUST have a consistent running pattern ... with somewhat equal stride lengths ... NO STUTTER STEPS!

Measure the distance between each tape mark. If they're not consistent, then adjust them slightly so that they ARE consistent. Don't worry if the last step or 2 are a little shorter than the rest ... that's actually good.

Repetition ... repetition ... repetition ... until your "bad habit" disappears.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”