Hooker to vault in New York June 12

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
PV Official
PV Nerd
Expertise: USATF Master Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Hooker to vault in New York June 12

Unread postby PV Official » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:02 am

http://www.iaaf.org/news/kind=101/newsid=56474.html

World and Olympic champion Hooker lines-up for New York – IAAF Diamond League

Steven Hooker of Australia celebrates his gold medal in the Pole Vault (Getty Images)

relnews New York, USA - IAAF Diamond League Ambassador Steve Hooker of Australia will compete in a star-studded line-up at the adidas Grand Prix on Saturday 12 June.

The adidas Grand Prix, held at Icahn Stadium on Randall’s Island, will be the fifth stop on the inaugural 14-meet IAAF Diamond League circuit.

This is Hooker’s first meet back in New York since he jumped an Area indoor record of 6.01m and then he unsuccessfully attempted the World indoor record height of 6.15 metres at the Millrose Games at Madison Square Garden in January 2009.

“New York City was good to me at the Millrose Games last year, so I am hoping for big jumps in my Diamond League return to the Big Apple,” Hooker said.

Hooker, 28, continued his recent success at the World Indoor Championships in March, clearing a championship record of 6.01m to notch-up his first World Indoor title. Since turning professional in 2006, he has dominated the Pole Vault scene and is the only man to hold World Championship (indoor and outdoor), Olympic Games and Commonwealth Games titles in a single event.

Also announced today was double World Indoor 60m Hurdles champion Lolo Jones, 27, who broke the American record set by Gail Devers in the process of retaining her title in Doha last month. In New York she will race the 100m Hurdles.

Hooker and Jones, will be joined by USA’s Olympic silver medallist Jenn Suhr (née Stuczynski), who will headline the women’s Pole Vault. Suhr, 28, is both the indoor and outdoor American record-holder in the Pole Vault, making her the No. 2 jumper in history behind World record-holder Yelena Isinbayeva.

Also in the New York field are the previously announced Usain Bolt (JAM), Americans Bernard Lagat and Hyleas Fountain, and Jessica Ennis (GBR).

IAAF Diamond League

joebro391
PV Follower
Expertise: Current College Vaulter (Samford University)
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Duplantis, Borges, Bubka

Re: Hooker to vault in New York June 12

Unread postby joebro391 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:31 pm

okay, I PR'd last time I was there, it's a good omen! where do I get my ticket?!?! haha -6P
PR: 15'6 !!PETROV/6.40 MODEL!! http://www.youtube.com/user/joebro391

Return to “Pole Vault - International”