Day before meet

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Jay
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Day before meet

Unread postby Jay » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:42 pm

So today is the day before a meet and i really wanna make states tommorow (10'6, pr 10.) I jumped 10 on my 12' 150 and i moved up to the 13'0 150 today and it was just way to much bend for me still. Then i tried a 13'6 155 and it was way to much bend for me still. I cant really control the bend and i know i shouldnt be bending it instead should be working on form. Therefore, i tried a 13'6 175 (next biggest pole we have, and absolute biggest we have) and it was going pretty well i was gripping about 12' maybe a little higher.

(sorry forgot to finish)

But i know, after reading numerous threads on pvp, that the 13'6 175 which is 15 pounds over me would be most beneficial because of the straight vaulting but if i wanna just get that extra 6 inches tommorow which pole should i use? Whenever the pole bends i cant get my feet up at all its pretty awful
Last edited by Jay on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Day before meet

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:50 pm

The best thing you can do the day before a meet is a few pole runs, not lots of vaulting. Hope your legs aren't too dead tomorrow!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Day before meet

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:31 pm

Maybe try to borrow a 13-6 165 from someone at the meet?

You should come to the meet with a "shopping list" in hand.

Here ... take this list ... and try to find a pole that's a little lighter than your 13-6 175. One of the 3 green poles might be about right ... if you're only gripping 12-0, then the 13-footer on the chart is probably best ... but when you're borrowing poles from your competition, beggars can't be choosers. :)

2010-04-19 Jay's Poles.JPG
2010-04-19 Jay's Poles.JPG (36.9 KiB) Viewed 5970 times

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”