Brand new, no clue what I'm doing.

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

twixerella
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Brand new, no clue what I'm doing.

Unread postby twixerella » Wed May 05, 2010 10:22 pm

I started pole vaulting on monday (May 3) ( I was pretty terrible) and then went to a meet the next day (It was a draw meet, we pulled events out of a hat that we normally don't do) I didn't really do that well at the meet, but my highest height was 6 feet, which I think is average for beginners. I would like to continue doing pole vault, and maybe do it again during track next year. I was wondering if anybody could give me any tips for how to improve my strength, or exercises that I could do at home that could help me. At this point I have NO technique or form.haha. I'm 5-3 and weigh around 110. I don't know if there is a specfic body type that makes good vaulters, but I think I might be ok at it. Even if im not it's fun anyway.;) All info and advice is appreciated!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Brand new, no clue what I'm doing.

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:48 pm

The best thing you can do is find clubs and camps in your area, and get as much vaulting experience as possible. Getting stronger and faster is always helpful, but the number one thing is that you have to learn the technique.

Also, check out the Beginner to Bubka book in my store, the more you can learn about the pole vault, the easier you will understand what it is you need to do.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”