perspective problem

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

sulli818
PV Beginner
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: scott huffman

perspective problem

Unread postby sulli818 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:58 pm

This is my first year and im a sophmore. i jump around 8'6 but i think i should be around 9 ft next meet. im 6'2 145 pounds; i know im really skinny. But anyways heres my problem, in practice i put the bungee around 10ft to practice getting my legs over, usually im able to get over it but not actually clear it. but then i put the bungee at 9 ft and i can barely get over that. I dont know if its a mental problem or what, but is there any way to get me to jump my highest without the bungee being there? or do we naturally only jump as high as we see the bar?

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Re: perspective problem

Unread postby master » Thu May 06, 2010 1:57 am

sulli818 wrote:...or do we naturally only jump as high as we see the bar?

I think that is a common natural instinct. As a vaulter, it is an instinct that you should work hard to overcome right from the beginning. Good luck.
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

ras
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Fan, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Unread postby ras » Thu May 06, 2010 2:14 pm

Barely clearing a 9 ft bungee is the same as getting over but not clearing a 10 ft bungee. Bungees are extremely forgiving and it is difficult to judge a jump when you hit a bungee. I have seen kids "clear" a bungee by hooking their toes over the top of it 3 ft above their PR. If you want to know for sure, put the crossbar up at 10 and see how close you come to it. It is an entirely different feeling.

sulli818
PV Beginner
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: scott huffman

Unread postby sulli818 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:52 pm

yeah i know the bungee and crossbar are 2 completely different things, but what i mean is i do the same thing to the 9ft bungee that i do to the 10ft, but anyways my league meet is tomorrow and theres not much i can do now :)

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”