Expertise: USATF Master Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

NCAA Sticks with Current Outdoor T&F Post-Season Format

Unread postby PV Official » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:29 pm

http://www.ustfccca.org/featured/ncaa-s ... t-for-2011

NCAA Sticks with Current Outdoor T&F Post-Season Format for 2011
Courtesy: Tom Lewis, USTFCCCA
June 18, 2010 Share
NEW ORLEANS – In meetings this week in Indianapolis, the NCAA Division I Championships/Sports Management Cabinet discussed and provided feedback on the outdoor track & field championships format approved by the NCAA Division I Track & Field Sport Committee and the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA). Dubbed the “24/8 Plan”, the cabinet reviewed research and comments from the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Track and Field Committee on the plan and decided to send back to the sport committee for further evaluation before acting.
Read the complete NCAA release
As a result, the 2011 NCAA Division I Outdoor Track & Field Championships will be conducted in the same general format that was used for the first time in 2010. Preliminary rounds will be held May 26-28 at sites to be determined and final rounds will be held on June 8-11 in Des Moines, Iowa. In the coming weeks, the NCAA national office will be distributing bid information to institutions. The NCAA sport committee expects an expedited bid process to identify the two hosts for the 2011 preliminary rounds.
The NCAA Division I Championships/Sports Management Cabinet is expected to review the outdoor track & field postseason format for 2012 and beyond at their September cabinet meeting after receiving the additional requested feedback on the “24/8 Plan” from the NCAA Division I Track & Field Sport Committee.
The following is the complete text taken from the NCAA News release:
“[…] [T]he cabinet provided feedback on a “24/8 Plan” from the Men’s and Women’s Track and Field Committee that would possibly eliminate outdoor regional-qualifying track meets.
Most of the cabinet members supported the concept that would fix the field size for individual events at 32 participants and relay events at 24.
In the plan designed by the U.S. Track and Field Coaches and Cross Country Coaches Association, the top 24 declared individuals in each individual event would have access to the championship meet. The remaining eight participants would be the next best conference champions decided by a descending-order list.
In relays, the top 18 declared teams would have access to the event, with the next best six conference champions filling out the field. Again, that would be determined by a national descending-order list.
In recent years, track and field regional qualifying has been a topic of conversation within the cabinet. The track and field committee realizes the expenses that institutions incur with the regional-qualifying format, and it estimates that this new proposal would save $3.5-$4.2 million collectively for the membership. The committee also recognizes that the new format would result in a significant budget impact for the Association.
Research compiled from the 2007-09 outdoor championships showed that an average of 57 percent of the Division I conferences would have been represented at the NCAA meet under the new plan.
Research also showed that if a straight descending list of the top 32 individuals had been used to determine an individual event field, only 40 percent of Division I conferences would be represented at the national meet.
Cabinet members who opposed the plan were concerned about not having a more inclusive automatic-qualifying system. They believe too many conference champions would not have access to the NCAA meet. Others suggested that the new two-region model should be evaluated before eliminating [preliminary rounds].”
Last edited by PV Official on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: NCAA Sticks with Current Outdoor T&F Post-Season Format for

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:32 pm

Some DI conferences really suck at pole vaulting. It doesn't hurt my feelings if they are not represented :P

belmore
PV Pro

Re: NCAA Sticks with Current Outdoor T&F Post-Season Format

Unread postby belmore » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:17 pm

I totally understand that way of thinking, just wish the ncaa didn't. I think all athletes need to be able to advance by performance to a national championship. As an athlete, you need to compete, post marks that put you in that elite positition of being part of a championship competition. You don't get a pass because you compete in a weaker region and get to move on. I don't mean weaker in a mean way, but each event has distinct locations through out the country. If you can leave a capable athlete at home because someone from another region doesn't have as strong a mark but not lose out in this scenario, it is not a fair competition. If 4.m can qualify on one side of the country and 4.15 on the other, then some strong vaulter got left at home. Not a fair playing field. And trust me, I know life aint fair. But on the playing field, for that athlete in that position to move on, to beat a time from another half of the country and then not move on to the championship round. Do we really produce a championship event?
compete and jump safe, have fun

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:53 am

i think ncaa is taking the approach if your not in the top 12 in your region how can you be in the top 8 at nationals.
pain is only temporary victory is forever

vtcoach
PV Nerd
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby vtcoach » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:36 pm

I thought the at-large pool in the prior 4 region system helped smooth out inequities between regions. Deeper regions got more athletes which I think is fair while the top kids in each region still advance. I have always like the straight descending order list indoor because their are no weather differences and the head to head of the regions outdoor but there needs to be a way to get more spots to the stronger region. I am NOT a fan of the Wilson plan which will provide even more disparity than we have seen with any of the regional systems.

Of course the list would be different if people were chasing marks but here is what the guys would have looked like this year if the Wilson plan (24+8) had been followed. Note that two of the conference champions would also have gotten in doing a straight 32 descending order list (and both got through the regional system). The other six I am sure are great kids but 5m at the bottom end means either starting a national meet at 4.90 to give these guys a chance or starting above their season best. As a side note, as I went through the data, if they switched to next 8 conference medalists instead of conference champions you end up with all 17' plus vaulters in the additional eight. An alternate tweak to the Wilson plan would be to grab the next 8 conference champions but only if they are in the top 50. In this case you grab three more. Then you retreat to the descending order list for the other five.

My apologies for any errors. Someone else can compile the gals list.

Top 24 with ties broken by second best result (like regionals)

1 Colwick, Jason SR-4 Rice 5.71m
1 Scott, Jordan SR-4 Kansas 5.71m
3 Olhovsky, Yavgeniy SR-4 Virginia Tech 5.50m
3 Roth, Scott JR-3 Washington 5.50m
3 Tromp, Xavier SR-4 Clemson 5.50m
6 Roy, Chris JR-3 UL-Lafayette 5.44m
7 Little, Chris JR-3 BYU 5.41m
7 Whitt, Jack FR-1 Oral Roberts 5.41m
9 Estrada, Brandon SR-4 USC 5.40m
9 Peterson, Ben JR-3 Minnesota 5.40m
11 Dominguez, Josh SR-4 LSU 5.40m
11 Reitze, Marvin SO-2 South Carolina 5.40m
13 Vu, Ryan JR-3 Washington 5.38m
14 Pierson, Sam SR-4 Idaho State 5.37m
15 Uhle, Michael JR-3 Akron 5.36m
16 Coover, Jeffrey SR-4 Indiana 5.35m
16 Jodon, Jared JR-3 Virginia Tech 5.35m
18 Doerflein, Cody SO-2 Southern Illinois 5.34m
19 Sparks, Eric SR-4 Purdue 5.32m
20 Brandon, Allen SO-2 Georgia 5.31m
20 DiCesare, Casey JR-3 UCLA 5.31m
20 Quinn, Johnny JR-3 UCLA 5.31m
23 Frawley, Nick SR-4 Air Force 5.30m
23 Uqdah, Khalil SR-4 Lehigh 5.30m

The Eight Conference Champions that would get in under the Wilson plan
which was turned down for 2011 but under consideration still for 2012.

29 Haynie, Elliott SR-4 South Carolina 5.28m
31 Schipper, Kevin SO-2 Notre Dame 5.26m
32 Finley, Scott SR-4 UC Santa Barbara 5.25m
52 Klas, Jeremy SO-2 Idaho 5.18m
60 Wells, Patrick JR-3 Samford 5.15m
83 McGovern, Brian FR-1 Manhattan 5.06m
103 Wiggins, Aaron SR-4 UNC-Wilmington 5.01m
105 Depalo, Eric SR-4 Yale 5.00m

Next 8 in the descending order list with ties broken by next best result
if top 32 were taken (not being proposed but for comparison to Wilson Plan)

23 Houston, Scott SO-2 North Carolina 5.30m
23 Walker, Kyle SO-2 New Mexico 5.30m
27 Burney, Seth JR-3 Nebraska 5.29m
27 Porter, Brian SR-4 Texas Tech 5.29m
29 Haynie, Elliott SR-4 South Carolina 5.28m
29 Landry, Connor JR-3 California 5.28m
31 Schipper, Kevin SO-2 Notre Dame 5.26m
32 Hall, Hunter SO-2 Virginia Tech 5.25m

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:48 pm

Wilson plan?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:09 pm

vaultmd wrote:Wilson plan?

One of the proposals for how to change things.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:08 pm

Tweets from the USTFCCCA convention indicate the 24/8 plan is dead.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”