Ugliest 13' clearance EVER.

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter, Volunteer High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.35
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Ugliest 13' clearance EVER.

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:35 pm

But a clearance is a clearance i suppose... And it's a PR for me, for an actual meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12KipHtl8Wg

Under.
Awful trail leg.
HUGE overstride.
NO inversion.
No idea why i'm so far on the runway side of the pole at the top of my jump.

SO much work to do.
suck it up.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Ugliest 13' clearance EVER.

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:51 am

Congrats on the PR. Things to notice ...

1. Leaning back during the 2nd half of the run ... due to too early of a pole drop. Try to drop it "weightlessly".
2. You seem to be striding out on the last step. Should be chopping if anything.
3. Your takeoff seems reasonably "on". Could be "out" a slight bit more than that. But it's not ridiculously "under".
4. Not much of a pre-stretch. You should let the chest go thru more.
5. Despite your lack of a pre-stretch, your trail leg is still back far enough to get a reasonablly good downswing. But instead, you tuck it prematurely. You need to swing long right thru the chord. THEN tuck it a bit.
6. Becuz of #5, you've lost a lot of momentum (power). This leads to your flagout ("lack of inversion").

Take a peek at the advice I gave "Colt" tonight. (Search for "colt"). A lot of it applies to you too.

You've already identified most of these faults. I see them too, and I'm just stating them in different words - which might give you some ideas on what to work on.

BadMotherVaulter wrote: ... No idea why i'm so far on the runway side of the pole at the top of my jump.

I've suggested some of the symptoms of a flagout in my advice to Colt. Take a look ... and think about it. If you understand WHY you flag out, then you'll be halfway to solving the problem. :idea:

I've explained some of this a little deeper in other posts too (in the past year). Search for "gravity pulls you down" or "gravity pulling you down". Something like that ... the search logic isn't smart enough to reduce "pulls" and "pulling" down to any words from root word "pull". You can also qualify your searches with the keyword "kirk" ... since I sign all my posts. And I know you read them! :)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

kcvault
PV Pro
Expertise: College vaulter, post collegiate vaulter, BA kinesiology,
Lifetime Best: 5.40m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Annie Burlingham

Unread postby kcvault » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:54 pm

For a 13ft jump you actually have really good technique. Kirk covered most the things you need to work on. One of the big things I notice is it looks like your not running full speed. This might be do to your pole drop but I think you could be a little more aggresive. Also you finished with the pole a little past verticle so you can probably go up about 5 pounds in pole.
--Kasey

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter, Volunteer High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.35
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:33 am

kcvault wrote:For a 13ft jump you actually have really good technique. Kirk covered most the things you need to work on. One of the big things I notice is it looks like your not running full speed. This might be do to your pole drop but I think you could be a little more aggresive. Also you finished with the pole a little past verticle so you can probably go up about 5 pounds in pole.
--Kasey

Well thank ya... It probably looks like i'm not running full speed because, well, i'm just really slow. Haha. It's something i'm working on.

And i agree, i could have gone up in pole size, but it probably would have just made the little things i did wrong on my jump that much worse.

KirkB, thanks for the input... Haven't gone back and searched those things up yet, but i will later on today.
suck it up.

pvcolt
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Dean Starkey

Unread postby pvcolt » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Take a peek at the advice I gave "Colt" tonight. (Search for "colt"). A lot of it applies to you too.

The funny thing is our vaults look entirely similar and we're going over similar heights. I guess this says something about how important form is :)

edit: btw good advice Kirk. I just checked and the thread is still at the top of the Intermediate section so I guess that it has great staying power. :D Either that or no one is interested in practicing through the off season :no:
“The secret ingredient to my secret noodle soup is.... There is no secret ingredient.”

starkey480
PV Whiz

Unread postby starkey480 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:50 pm

i wouldnt say ugliest.... my freshman year year i was vaulting the same height and my bottom arm stayed locked the entire time and i sat over every bar hahaha

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”