5.05 bungee from a 4 step

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz
Expertise: Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.90m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Maksim tarasov

5.05 bungee from a 4 step

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:58 pm

This is my 7th practice of the year. Also my second vault day of the week and my last vault of the day, so my run is slow and my hands could be better. I have been working on my swing because I usually start to tuck before the cord of the pole.
4 Step- 54'8"
Pole- 14'6" 180
Grip- 13'9"
Bungee- 16'6"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOCjeAOSTM

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Re: 5.05 bungee from a 4 step

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:09 pm

I see a couple things, 1st it looks like you could raise your grip an inch or 2 on that pole. 2nd- Your pole tip is really high 3 steps out, the tip should atleast be level with your nose. This will cause a slow plant with the arms, and slow the frequency of your last steps. Lastly you are a little tense at takeoff, keep extending through the shoulders, that will delay your swing and allow you to get on a bigger stick.

You are a really good pole vaulter! I think you swing pretty good.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

AllaboutPV1
PV Beginner
Expertise: College
Lifetime Best: 5.08
Favorite Vaulter: TIM MACK

Unread postby AllaboutPV1 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:04 pm

im glad your taking off again ha, stop looking at the bar lol. u prob already know that, keep at it man, looking good.

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:03 pm

KYLE ELLIS wrote:looks like you could raise your grip an inch or 2 on that pole. 2nd- Your pole tip is really high 3 steps out, the tip should atleast be level with your nose. This will cause a slow plant with the arms, and slow the frequency of your last steps. Lastly you are a little tense at takeoff, keep extending through the shoulders, that will delay your swing and allow you to get on a bigger stick.

I actually saw in my video that I should hold higher. As for the pole drop I did not see that until you and brooks morris said something about it. I will be working on that next practice! As for my take off I think it will be better on monday because I will be fresh and running better. I will be working on my pole drop, plant,take off, and my swing next practice. I will put up some more video Monday. Thanks for the pointers! I like getting different eyes on my vault. :yes:
KYLE ELLIS wrote:You are a really good pole vaulter! I think you swing pretty good.

Thanks! This is actually my first practice where I have had a swing. I usually tuck way before the cord, so I am excited that this is actually looking alright for my first time. :)
AllaboutPV1 wrote:im glad your taking off again

:yes: :D :yes: I know! I don't even think about that anymore. I just vault! crazy I have a swing started huh?

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Practice

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:09 am

Hey this is some new jumps of mine from this week.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlKPcizFsTs

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:01 pm

http://scottelliottachievingmydreams.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lVRiobZfng
Todays jumps. Was trying to work on dropping my shoulders back but I didnt. I will start doing more drills. If any suggestions please let me know.

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:55 am

Hey Scott!
I wasn't there to see your last few jumps today, but after watching the video I would say that you should just keep your grip at 14'6 on that 180...looks like you rolled the pole over past vertical a lot more than you have been doing with the lower grips. (***Disclaimer: It is OK for you to cap that pole because it is at least 20 lbs over your weight** If you are a beginner vaulter don't try to raise your grip to get more penetration unless your coach says so!!***.)

On all your other jumps the pole does not quite make it to vertical. The added flex of the higher grip is getting you more penetration, and more time to finish up top, which is more representative of how the longer poles you will be jumping on later in the year will react.
See you monday, keep up the good work
Tom

AllaboutPV1
PV Beginner
Expertise: College
Lifetime Best: 5.08
Favorite Vaulter: TIM MACK

Unread postby AllaboutPV1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:12 am

scott, your shoulders were better today little by little they will get there, however, i think if you kept your left arm straight for an instant longer it would give you just a little bit more time to help drop your shoulders better. Other than that the higher grip as tom said helped you out. i see 15's in the future lol poles that is, keep it up man.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:55 am

polevaulter2012,

I like your run and your take-off except for your head position. You seem to run into the plant well, but your center of focus is the bottom of the box and you duck your head. In my opinion, that starts a chain reaction. You kill the pole speed quite a bit when you have to initiate your swing by leaning back. This also causes your hands to move way out in front and you can't connect with the pole. The pole then can't move to vertical and you cartwheel off the top.

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:48 pm

Thanks! I have been trying to look up. I am getting better at it. I use to look down even more.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:31 am

Check out your hands when you swing. Make sure they are pressed up the entire time and that all your weight is on your top hand until you finish your inversion and are ready to pull. Your hips get stalled before you really finish your swing, and I think it might be due to a pull from your bottom hand just as the swing passes parallel with the ground. This can happen as an automatic reflect to try to get inverted before the pole launches you, but if you focus on continuing that nice long/fast swing you have through your top hand instead of pulling with your bottom hand to invert, that extra momentum from your swing will keep the pole moving toward vertical and you won't have to worry about fighting to invert in time.

If your swing speed carries through your entire inversion, I see you lining up with that pole really nicely and having a legitimate chance of clearing that bungee clean. Keep pressing up slightly with your bottom hand to keep the weight on your top hand when you swing, and swing fast all the way to the top.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:17 pm

I see what you are saying. Today is my short approach day so I will work on it. Thanks! :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”