HS Rule Change for 2011 - 2 Min Warmup instead of 1 Run Thru

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

HS Rule Change for 2011 - 2 Min Warmup instead of 1 Run Thru

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:39 pm

OK I wish they had changed to the one hour rule, since in smaller meets it can take a very short amount of time to get past the first three heights.

http://www.nfhs.org/Workarea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4343

Mid-Competition Warm-Up Procedure Change for Pole Vault

Risk minimization is a number one concern for all track and field events. Over the past 10 years, the pole vault rules have been adjusted to help ensure the safety of the competitors. Experienced or more proficient vaulters often begin the competition on the sidelines as they wait until the bar is raised to the height where they enter the competition. This wait time depends on the number of competitors and the starting height. A long wait places the waiting competitor(s) at a disadvantage as the idle body negates the effect of warming up prior to the competition.

Previously, a competitor who had not entered and passed three consecutive heights was allowed one warm-up
vault without the bar in place during the change to the height he or she would enter. For 2011, the rule has changed to allow that same competitor use of the runway and landing pit for two minutes and as many warm-up jumps as desired during that period. (Rule 7-5-16)

As an official, when more than one competitor enters and is eligible for a warm-up period, the warm-up periods are added together. So, if two competitors enter at a height, four minutes are allowed for the warm-up period. If three competitors enter, six minutes are allowed. This is unlike the NCAA, where the warm-up time, while also two minutes, is not combined for multiple competitors.

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Re: HS Rule Change for 2011 - 2 Min Warmup instead of 1 Run Thru

Unread postby drcurran » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:49 pm

Good rule change. I'm with you Becca should have put this rule in line with NCAA and made it "after one hour". Now, if the "powers that be" will move the HSer from 90 sec. to 1 min. things will be looking even better!
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:35 pm

I understand the concern, but it is more theoretical than practical. We have used this rule in WIsconsin for the past two years on an experimental basis and when the three heights move quickly as they often do at the beginning of a competition, multiple vaulters entering the competition generally don't take the full time allowed.* I would not like the one hour rule around here where "warm up" takes on a more significant, literal meaning. The pre-meet warm up effects fade quickly when it is a breezy, damp, 45 degrees outside in late April. Being allowed to take a couple of trips down the runway after a half hour or 45 minutes makes a big difference in those conditions.

I agree with drcurran about the 90 second to 60 second change.

* This assumes that the 2 minutes per vaulter is aggregated and shared (e.g., 3 vaulters entering = 3 x 2 min = 6 min total warm up time shared equitably by all 3). This is the way it has been administered in Wisconsin. Having 3 separate 2 minute warm up periods is just dumb with lots of time wasted by each vaulter between warm up attempts. The vaulter who completes a warm up jump can discuss it with his/her coach and get back to the top of the runway while the other two are preparing for and taking their jumps. If it's done this way, the full 6 minute warm up period in the example will rarely be used.
May the Force be with you!

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:20 pm

The NFHS has just released their 2011 edition of the Track and Field Pre-Meet notes. This topic is covered on the front page.

My copy came through my state interpreter, so I don't know if the document has actually been posted on the NFHS site. Should be soon if not.

They are saying to interpret the warm-up jump rule this way.. combine the warm-up time into one block of time. They clearly differentiated that from the NCAA way.

So, with three vaulters coming in... set the clock to six minutes. End the warm-up period when six minutes is up or when all three have said they are done.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:27 pm

Vaultref wrote:My copy came through my state interpreter, so I don't know if the document has actually been posted on the NFHS site. Should be soon if not.

Yes it is posted to the NFHS site, per my link above...

Divalent
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent
Lifetime Best: 0-00.00

Unread postby Divalent » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Off topic, but I didn't know this:

"Two competitors (A&B) are left in the competition. A misses on all three trials at a height; B has missed his/her first two trials at the same height. Before taking a third trial, B requests the bar be raised to a height NOT in the established pro-gression. Since at this time there has not been a winner determined yet, the request is denied. ... B is not considered to be the event winner before his/her third attempt even if a review of A and B’s misses show that B would be awarded 1st place through the tie-breaking procedure."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:47 pm

Divalent wrote:Off topic, but I didn't know this:

"Two competitors (A&B) are left in the competition. A misses on all three trials at a height; B has missed his/her first two trials at the same height. Before taking a third trial, B requests the bar be raised to a height NOT in the established pro-gression. Since at this time there has not been a winner determined yet, the request is denied. ... B is not considered to be the event winner before his/her third attempt even if a review of A and B’s misses show that B would be awarded 1st place through the tie-breaking procedure."

In a similar vein, if all of the vaulters except one have exited the competition, and that one remaining vaulter has not yet entered the competition, he has to enter at a height that falls within the normal progression. Once he makes a height and is officially the winner, he can then choose any higher height.

Vaultref
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaultref » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:25 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
Vaultref wrote:My copy came through my state interpreter, so I don't know if the document has actually been posted on the NFHS site. Should be soon if not.

Yes it is posted to the NFHS site, per my link above...

Sorry Becca, I missed your very first post.

As an FYI, the proposal to alter the time from 90 seconds to 60 seconds failed for the third year. Seems the
committee just doesn't want to change this. A consective jump time proposal in vertical jumps was up for
approval and while it didn't actually fail, it as only "discussed with no action taken".
Maybe next year.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:32 pm

Vaultref wrote:As an FYI, the proposal to alter the time from 90 seconds to 60 seconds failed for the third year. Seems the
committee just doesn't want to change this. A consective jump time proposal in vertical jumps was up for
approval and while it didn't actually fail, it as only "discussed with no action taken".
Maybe next year.

Thanks for trying!! :yes:

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:37 pm

It also mentions the rules changing to state that if the upright of the standard slips/falls during a vault, which causes the bar to fall (whether the vaulter hits the bar or not), it is not an attempt and the vaulter gets another attempt (which has been the common practice for most of us - unless the vaulter annihilates the bar/standards).

However in the next line it says if the upright of the standard slips/falls during a vault but "the crossbar is not displaced, the competitor is credited with a made attempt." *This sounds like if someone jumps, both standards fall to ~8 feet, the bar stays on the pegs (somehow) and the vaulter clears the bar, it is a make...

Could this lead to people rigging their standards to slide down at the same speed (slow motion)? Someone will develop some sensor to trigger this slow motion fall when the pole hits the back of the box... just kidding, but is would it be a make?
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

Vaultref
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaultref » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:45 pm

patybobady wrote:It also mentions the rules changing to state that if the upright of the standard slips/falls during a vault, which causes the bar to fall (whether the vaulter hits the bar or not), it is not an attempt and the vaulter gets another attempt (which has been the common practice for most of us - unless the vaulter annihilates the bar/standards).

this shouldn't have been the common practice ever.. No sense dewlling on the past, but your jump should have been failed.

patybobady wrote:However in the next line it says if the upright of the standard slips/falls during a vault but "the crossbar is not displaced, the competitor is credited with a made attempt." *This sounds like if someone jumps, both standards fall to ~8 feet, the bar stays on the pegs (somehow) and the vaulter clears the bar, it is a make...

Could this lead to people rigging their standards to slide down at the same speed (slow motion)? Someone will develop some sensor to trigger this slow motion fall when the pole hits the back of the box... just kidding, but is would it be a make?

Lets forget about the press release or new flash and just look at the new rule, which is identical in wording to that in the NCAA book. It says, "If improperly fastened supports slip downward when a jumper hits the crossbar, the head judge of the event shall rule no jump and allow the jumper another attempt.".

Your not going to get the favorable call if you crash into the standards and cause it to slip. That's not nor ever was the intent of the NCAA rule and now the changed NFHS rule. You'll not get a make if the bar stays up on a slipped standard event. All you will get is another attempt.

Got it?
Last edited by Vaultref on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vaultref
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaultref » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Anyone had any experience now during the indoor season with this new warmup-change?
In my last indoor meet in 2010, we had several height change warm-ups. Here's a little stats on the event.
It's only one sampling, but I'm posting anyway.

height progressions: 6 7 8 8.6 9 9.6 10 10.6 11 11.6 12 12.6 13 13.6 14 14.6 feet

48 vaulters.. both boys and girls together..
don't have the break out of how many boys vs girls but I'd guess 60/40% split..

one warm-up with two vaulters ( 3 min used out of 4 available)
a second warm-up with three vaulters (5 min used out of 6 available)
a third warm-up with four vaulters... ( 4 min used out of 8 available)

Therefore, nine vaulters used a combined warm-up time of 12 minutes out of 18 available and all made mutiple attempts during the warm-up period.

Missed "first" jumps by these nine was four. None were from the third warm-up group. All of whom waited nearly 2 hours to get this far.

Top girls height attempted ... 10ft (three girls).. the rest all out by 8 ft

Top boys height cleared/attempted ... 14.0 / 14.6 ft (one) next three top boys cleared/attempted 11.6 / 12ft the rest out at 11 or lower heights

It was a LONG evening. Check-in and pole verification took a long..LONG time. At least 60 poles had to be examined
and compared to the paperwork. Ugh!

Here's my bottom line ... I don't think the extended warm-up made any difference, and probably slowed the event down a little.
As I said, just one sample to go by.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”