Wurster vaulting to China

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:26 am

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/Articl ... ?e=3233368

Stevensville pole vaulter competing in fourth Universiade
By Brad Peters Niagara Falls Review
Posted 4 hours ago
Jason Wurster is hoping that it will be a case of fourth time lucky.

The Stevensville pole vaulter, and national champion, will be competing at his fourth Summer Universiade next month in Shenzhen, China and he's planning on bringing home a medal.

"I have competed at the last three Universiades, Izmir Turkey in 2005, Bangkok Thailand in 2007, and Belgrade Serbia in 2009," he wrote during an email interview from Germany. "They are a very competitive championship with very high results.

"At my first one in Turkey, the first three places jumped the same results as the World Championships that year. 5.80, 5.75, and 5.70m. The past two years the games were won with a height in the 60s, so I really think this year I can get a medal if I jump well."

The Summer Universiade is an international multi-sport event that takes place every two years and is second only to the Olympic Games in the number of participating athletes and countries.

The Universiade is open to competitors 17 to 27. Participants must be full-time students at a post-secondary institution or have graduated from a post-secondary institution in the year preceding the event.

Before leaving for Germany, Wurster jumped 5.41m at a meet in Toronto, and then won his fifth National Championships in Calgary.

"I have spent most of the season finding my rhythm. I didn't compete this past indoor season due to injuries so I think it set me back a bit. I feel I am ready jump between 5.50-5.60 now, so with a little better weather than my last few competitions, I think I will get to personal best heights," he said.

To prepare for the Universiade format and skill level, Wurster has been spending the last four weeks overseas competing.

"I have been in Europe since July 3 and was travelling around with my Dutch pole vaulting friend Wout van Wengerden," he said. "I have competed in four competitions so far.

"I have two more before I come back on Aug. 3."

The York University student started off strong in Leverkusen, Germany on July 8.

"I started the competition at 5.30m (my highest ever starting height), and then took two really good attempts at 5.50m, I narrowly missed on my third. Following that meet, I competed July 10 in Brussels, Belgium where I was second.

"I jumped 5.20m and missed 5.30m."

Following that meet, the combination of competition and intense practise began to take a toll on Wurster's results, and he was only able to manage a fifth place at a meet in Liege, Belgium.

"It was a really tough competition because it was around 12 degrees and raining, with a cross wind, which is not an easy wind to deal with in pole vault (because as you are running, your pole is getting pushed to the left or right and you are struggling to keep it straight so you don't miss the box)."

Of all the European events he's been in this summer, Wurster said the next two will be the most challenging, and the most fun. First up is the Leverkusen Classic set for Saturday.

"My friend that I am staying with now, Michel Frauen organized it, and it will have a really strong field," he said. "The gold, silver and bronze medallists from the 2008 Olympics will be competing. Steve Hooker from Australia, Yevgeny Lukyanenko from Russia and Denys Yurchenko from Ukraine."

It sounds like Wurster's last event in Germany is equal parts competition and going-away party.

"My last competition will be in Landau, Germany Aug. 2. It's a market square meeting, so it will be taking place in the centre of the town and should have a lot of spectators, loud music, lots of German sausages and beer ... it will be a fun competition with a very good field of competitors."

After the Universiade, Wurster has the option of competing in the Pan Am Games in Mexico. The lessons learned from his disappointing performance at the Commonwealth Games may prevent him from attending, however.

"I am not sure yet if I will compete at them because they are in late October, and as I learned last year, having a big meet in October can really affect the training season for the following year," he said. "And because my preparation for next season is so important (for the Olympics), I want to make sure everything is done the best that it can be."

The 2011 Summer Universiade is scheduled for Shenzhen, China from Aug. 12 to 22.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Wurster vaulting to China

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:27 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:"I have competed at the last three Universiades, Izmir Turkey in 2005, Bangkok Thailand in 2007, and Belgrade Serbia in 2009,"

In other words, he's been in school way too long :P

wurster490
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 5.51m

Unread postby wurster490 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:34 am

Haha, thanks Becca. Yes, I was in school a bit too long, but as a track and field athlete I think it's easier to be in school then out of school. ttyl

kewh
PV Nerd
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt

Unread postby kewh » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:50 pm

The US is not sending any vaulters to China as of last week.

wurster490
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 5.51m

Unread postby wurster490 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:08 am

Ya, it sucks, they haven't sent a track team the last 3 times I went.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”