WC Women Finals - Another great competition!

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: WC Women Finals - Middle of the night party here!

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:21 am

Well another exciting competition! Congratulations to Murer for her first world title and the =PR. Congrats to Strutz for a new PR and NR! Nice work by Feofanova, she has great longevity in the sport. And look out for Silva! She's going to be a 4.90+ jumper before she is done.

73-vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Fan, Parent, High School Coach

Re: WC Women Finals - Another great competition!

Unread postby 73-vaulter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:31 am

Thank You again for the coverage. It was a great read.

jabennis
PV Beginner
Expertise: Still Figuring it out
Lifetime Best: 5.30NR
Favorite Vaulter: Nick Mossberg

Unread postby jabennis » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:03 am

Anyone heard from Isi? any statements given?
Leave Nothing. Give Everything.
-BeBetter.
http://www.polevaultdream.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:06 am

jabennis wrote:Anyone heard from Isi? any statements given?

atlegu wrote:Isi to Norwegian TV: I will be back! Next year is the Olympics, and I will jump high there. I felt good today, but did some technical mistakes (to stiff and to soft poles).

Reporter: "Will the Isi-period return?" YES (with a smile)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:06 am

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 798752.cms

'Curse of the cover' strikes again
AFP | Aug 30, 2011, 07.03PM IST

DAEGU: The "curse of the cover" struck the world championships again on Tuesday as Russia's Yelena Isinbayeva became the fourth global star to perish after featuring on the front page of the Daily Programme.

In an eerie sequence, the Russian pole vault queen joined fellow vaulter Steve Hooker, sprint star Usain Bolt and 110m hurdles Olympic champion Dayron Robles as one of the featured stars -- and the fourth to fail in South Korea.

The Day 4 programme featured a picture of the Russian in midair but it was an ill omen for the out-of-sorts Isinbayeva, who crashed out of medals contention in the competition, won by Brazil's Fabiana Murer.

Isinbayeva had to be content with a hugely disappointing sixth placing after just one successful vault.

The two-time Olympic and double world champion was in Daegu seeking revenge after failing to record a height in the finals of the Berlin worlds.

But she failed in three attempts to clear 4.75m (once) and 4.80m (twice), which spelled an end to her world championships dream in front of a packed stadium.

She promptly gathered up her belongings, muttering to herself all along, turned her back on the ongoing competition and left the stadium.

Injury-wracked defending champion Hooker of Australia was the first athlete to suffer from the "curse of the cover", bombing out of the men's pole vault on Saturday after failing even to register a mark.

Then it was the turn of Jamaica's Bolt, the defending champion and world record holder, who was sensationally disqualified from the 100m final on Sunday, leaving the crowd stunned.

The third athlete to fall foul of the curse was men's 110m Cuban Olympic champion and world record holder Dayron Robles, who thought he had won the world crown, only to be disqualified for obstruction.

The stars of the world champs will not be in a hurry to find out if they will feature on future days as it is currently proving a sure-fire pointer to failure.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Eddie would like everyone know that he dressed up for the party in his most patriotic outfit:

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:49 pm

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... /110830011

Riga's Jenn Suhr finishes fourth in pole vault at women's world championships
9:05 AM, Aug. 30, 2011 | Comments

Written by
Wire and staff reports

The United States' Jenn Suhr makes an attempt in the women's pole vault final at the World Athletics Championships in Daegu, South Korea, today. / MATT DUNHAM The Associated Press

Jenn Suhr of Riga finished fourth in the women’s pole vault at the world championships in Daegu, South Korea.

Fabiana Murer of Brazil set a South American record of 15 feet, 11 inches to beat Martina Strutz, who set a German record of 15-9. Svetlana Feofanova of Russia earned bronze at 15-7.

Suhr cleared her second attempt at 15-5, but missed on all three of her tries at 15-7.

“It was important for me to be here to mix it up with the rest of the world’s top vaulters,” Suhr said in a statement. “I came up a little short today...one place out of the medals but I am happy with the way I competed and the way I dealt with my back issues and a head cold.

“My season’s not done yet. The Diamond League final is in Zurich next week and I hope to come out on top there.”

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:57 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=14409790

Yelena Isinbayeva extended her string of disappointments at major events on Tuesday, going under the pole vault bar on her final attempt while trailing five of her rivals for gold at the world championships

When the Russian was packing up her bag, Fabiana Murer of Brazil added the outdoor world title to the indoor championship one year before the London Olympics. Murer set a South American record of 15 feet, 11 inches to beat Martina Strutz, who set a German record of 15-9. Svetlana Feofanova of Russia earned bronze at 15-7.

"I lost again. But it's OK and I'm optimistic for next year," Isinbayeva said. "The Olympic year is more important. I was just unlucky."

In front of 40,000 fans at Daegu Stadium, nothing could match another implosion by Isinbayeva.

The two-time Olympic champion managed a height of 15-3, the only mark she would clear and only a slight improvement over her no-height performance at the worlds in Berlin two years ago. That started a spiral of decline, and she took a one-year break after losing to Murer at last year's indoor championships, hoping to come back stronger in Daegu.

"Everything was ready for a victory, but I do not know what went wrong," Isinbayeva said.

When she used to go into a huddle, covered by blankets or towels to concentrate, her competitors used to fail. Now, oblivious to the former world champion, they went higher and higher, leaving the Russian behind.

After Isinbayeva first missed at 15-7, her rivals kept scaling the bar, forcing her into two attempts at 15-9 to even have a shot at the title. She failed at that height as well.

It left her without a medal for three straight global championships after a run of seven straight golds in Olympics and world outdoor and indoor competitions.

"I will delete everything in my memory before I go to the Olympics," Isinbayeva said.

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:21 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Eddie would like everyone know that he dressed up for the party in his most patriotic outfit:

Looking at Eddie's photo make me thinking about how nice will be to get another kid. Then I recall that they grows up into teenagers. :devil:

Eddie is so cute. This period (0-1 yr) is the best, IMHO - they don't move ;). Enjoy every moment, this won't last long.
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

atlegu
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent, former high school vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 3,70
Favorite Vaulter: Sondre and Simen Guttormsen

Unread postby atlegu » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Interesting to see Petrov in the stands among the coaches. Anybody know in what capacity?

As far as I know he is coaching Fabiana Murer ! http://noticias.bol.uol.com.br/esporte/2011/08/30/top-5-entenda-como-fabiana-murer-cresceu-desde-pequim-e-virou-campea-mundial.jhtm

Read "
On Tuesday, Petrov was in the stands next to Elson Miranda, his coach "official."

So he should have a good reason to be there.

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:52 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/athletics/Curse-of-the-cover-strikes-again/articleshow/9798752.cms

'Curse of the cover' strikes again
AFP | Aug 30, 2011, 07.03PM IST

DAEGU: The "curse of the cover" struck the world championships again on Tuesday as Russia's Yelena Isinbayeva became the fourth global star to perish after featuring on the front page of the Daily Programme.

In an eerie sequence, the Russian pole vault queen joined fellow vaulter Steve Hooker, sprint star Usain Bolt and 110m hurdles Olympic champion Dayron Robles as one of the featured stars -- and the fourth to fail in South Korea.

Speaking of "curse of the cover", here is the one that lasts since 1999:
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/286877/can-peyton-hillis-survive-the-madden-curse
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:40 pm

atlegu wrote:
Interesting to see Petrov in the stands among the coaches. Anybody know in what capacity?

As far as I know he is coaching Fabiana Murer ! http://noticias.bol.uol.com.br/esporte/2011/08/30/top-5-entenda-como-fabiana-murer-cresceu-desde-pequim-e-virou-campea-mundial.jhtm

Read "
On Tuesday, Petrov was in the stands next to Elson Miranda, his coach "official."

So he should have a good reason to be there.

Elson is her primary coach, but they work with Petrov periodically.

Petrov was named the Russian team coach last year or so. Maybe he coaches Starodubstev... ah yes: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16572&start=0

Return to “Pole Vault - International”