Nutrition and what to eat before a meet?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Nutrition and what to eat before a meet?

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:37 pm

I have states soon, in a few weeks and i want to eat really healthy the week of states. What type of food should i be eating? I have been trying to eat healthy lately because i am not all that skinny, and need to lose weight to become a better vaulter. I tend to gain muscle, but not lose fat. What is a good diet for the week of a meet and the day before. And in general, what is a good way to always eat, especially for a female vaulter?
Last edited by Rosie<3 on Mon May 21, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Re: Nutrition and what to eat before a meet?

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:26 pm

While I am not much of a dietitian in any sense, I can tell you a few things that have been working for me lately.

(as a rule of thumb) always shop on the perimeter of the grocery store. That is where all the perishable food items are, and if the food doesn't go bad, there are probably chemicals that have been put in it to keep it that way (think of a twinkie).

Me personally, I have found that red peppers work well for me. While I don't pole vault any more, I find that if I eat one about an hour-and-a-half to two hours before working out, good things happen. Turns out, red peppers are full of good things for you, and I enjoy the taste. This isn't an entire diet plan, but small steps turn into habits pretty quickly. Correctly portioned meals, and knowing when you should stop eating (think about 80% full... in 10 minutes, you will be full, give your body some time to catch up to digestion).

Post workout I like bananas, again, happens to be a really good food for you, and I like them (easy combination to stick with). They are a good source a potassium (which I have been told) is a good think to eat in terms of recovery.

Is anyone out there a registered dietitian that could provide some more sound information?

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:13 pm

Lax PV wrote:(as a rule of thumb) always shop on the perimeter of the grocery store

That is some great advice for everyone.

I also am not a registered dietitian, but I have had education on nutrition for both my undergraduate and graduate degrees.

Cut out pop and replace it with water. This is a very easy thing to do. Diet pop is not much better for you....new studies are coming out that drinking diet pop causes increased calorie consumpstion later in the day.

Stop eating out. Lots of hidden calories in restraunt foods. (not just the fast food places).

The best way to start losing weight is to count your calories to see where you can make changes. Keep a log for a week and see where you are eating the extra calories.

Calories in vs calories out. 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat. Take in less calories than you expel and you will lose weight.
Man Up and Jump

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:58 pm

VaultMarq26 wrote:Cut out pop and replace it with water. This is a very easy thing to do. Diet pop is not much better for you....new studies are coming out that drinking diet pop causes increased calorie consumpstion later in the day.

Stop eating out. Lots of hidden calories in restraunt foods. (not just the fast food places).

The best way to start losing weight is to count your calories to see where you can make changes. Keep a log for a week and see where you are eating the extra calories.

Calories in vs calories out. 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat. Take in less calories than you expel and you will lose weight.

:yes:

Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks but what is good to e at before a meet like a few days before, the night before, and even the day of? I hear that carbs are really good to eat the night before but i have also been told that they aren't that good to eat before.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:40 am

You are a pole vaulter not a 10k runner. No need to carbo load. Push the water and eat what you normally eat. Just make sure there is some protien in you meals.
Man Up and Jump

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”