How high did the elite men jump in high school?

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: mark hollis

How high did the elite men jump in high school?

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Do you by chance know how high some of these men vaulters in the olympics and olympic trials vaulted in there high school days? i hope to one day qualify for the olympic trials but im still in high school right now

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Everything Olympic Trials

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:45 am

foreverforum8 wrote:Do you by chance know how high some of these men vaulters in the olympics and olympic trials vaulted in there high school days? i hope to one day qualify for the olympic trials but im still in high school right now

Jeff Hartwig had a high school best of 14'6, and eventually went on to make two Olympic Teams, but I think most elite vaulters jumped 16'+ in high school. Brad Walker jumped 16' his senior year. There are tons of 17'+ high schoolers who never make it to the next level. You just need to focus on learning good technique and becoming faster.

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'6
Favorite Vaulter: mark hollis

Re: Everything Olympic Trials

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:08 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
foreverforum8 wrote:Do you by chance know how high some of these men vaulters in the olympics and olympic trials vaulted in there high school days? i hope to one day qualify for the olympic trials but im still in high school right now

Jeff Hartwig had a high school best of 14'6, and eventually went on to make two Olympic Teams, but I think most elite vaulters jumped 16'+ in high school. Brad Walker jumped 16' his senior year. There are tons of 17'+ high schoolers who never make it to the next level. You just need to focus on learning good technique and becoming faster.

shoot im behind the ball hahah.... my goal is 15 foot by senior year and i hope to go to the olympic trials but idk

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Re: How high did the elite men jump in high school?

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:47 am

I THINK (memory could def be failing me on this one) that Tim Mack jumped 13'6" in HS... hit some HUGE numbers in college though..

He talks about it in his book about his 2004 season--which is a great read if you have not read it before.

http://www.amazon.com/Above-Beyond-Vaul ... 805&sr=8-1

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:35 am

good morning,

after watching the "transition", and most times the lack of.. i feel the college coaches are trying to "make the vaulter in their eyes" even the 12-9/13 foot girls and the 16-6/17 foot boys...

they spend all their off season time either not vaulting or on changing/coaching everything instead of the specific weaknesses that each has...

and Becca is correct... speed.. is the number one factor... every one of these vaulters knows HOW to vault... getting them faster and more physically fit produces more than any other item... and they need to vault.. at least 70, 80, 90% of their max.. and that includes Approach run distance... a 5 left (10 stride run) is a drill not a run... to PR from... trying to PR from these short runs is what is creating the over striding, reaching, under takeoffs, none "free" takeoffs, forced bending and slow swings....

dj

even T-Mack's slight over striding on his trials 5.90 jump could have been "corrected" by going to 20 steps. Increased speed by/at the 6th step allows the vaulter the ability to "quicken" the frequency of the last 6 steps, avoiding a need to stretch and putting the hips in the correct position for an "impulse" takeoff.

PS.. sorry i forgot something... T-Mack could/should have moved to 20 steps but kept the same "MID".. 54-8/55-4.. then he would not only have a little more speed but better posture and a little extra "pop"/impulse at the takeoff because the hips would be aligned correctly from running with less ground time and ball of the foot striking "under" the COM...
Last edited by dj on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:04 pm

Gio Lanaro jumped 11'6" in high school.

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:00 am

Dave Roberts - 15'
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”