Physics in pole vault

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

tpho
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Physics in pole vault

Unread postby tpho » Tue May 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Last edited by tpho on Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kris
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

Re: Physics in pole vault

Unread postby Kris » Tue May 22, 2012 8:10 pm

You don't turn potential energy into kinetic, energy, you turn kinetic energy into potential energy.
As you increase your speed, you increase your kinetic energy and with the help of the pole, you convert the kinetic energy to potential energy (height)

tpho
PV Newbie

Unread postby tpho » Tue May 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Last edited by tpho on Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue May 22, 2012 10:29 pm

When you jump/take-off, is that to get your body higher up to get a better bend in the pole by having gravity pull you down?
No…

and you seem to be approaching the vault from the wrong perspective….

what Is the reasoning for your questions, to learn to vault or understand the vault?

dj

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:02 pm

You don't turn potential energy into kinetic, energy, you turn kinetic energy into potential energy.
As you increase your speed, you increase your kinetic energy and with the help of the pole, you convert the kinetic energy to potential energy (height)

This is true, and not true. There is potential and kinetic going back and forth in a lot of places in the vault... The run, the pole drop, plant, jumping motion, swing, extension, fly-away... Lots of stuff going on in there, including chemical energy being drawn from. In the end, kinetic has been turned into potential, but let's not oversimplify it... But that of course raises the question dj asked: what exactly are you after tpho?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

tpho
PV Newbie

Unread postby tpho » Wed May 23, 2012 8:04 am

Last edited by tpho on Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Wed May 23, 2012 9:02 am

good monring,

again... this is the beginner thread and at 7-6 you would be a beginner... key factor.. ANY transfer of "energy" will be directly proportionate to hand grip you can hold and "safely" move the pole to vertical….

You need to go to the sand pit (look up threads on here about sand vaulting and video on youTube) and begin there.

A 7-6 vault would indicate a 9-6 to 10 foot grip… sand vaulting will help you learn to run, plant and takeoff better because you CANNOT safely raise the grip until you do…..

Several other "issues" before questions about physics is, How well do you run and is your pole carry correct? What is height and weight and strength ratio to body weight?

I posted "Leo" on another PVP thread… read that and do the "5 day" plan as I described and let me know the result….

dj

tpho
PV Newbie

Unread postby tpho » Wed May 23, 2012 9:19 am

I'm 5'6", 127lb using a 130 pole. I used a 140 at a track meet where I cleared 7.06. Right now, I'm just dragging the pole on the ground. I'll search for some sandpit threads.

I'm not sure what you mean by how well I run. I can't seem to relax during my run. I always stomp for some reason.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Wed May 23, 2012 11:03 am

hye

look at the Leo by dj post and integrate some or all of that process into your practice...

learn to hold and carry the pole correctly from the first step... that will lead to the correct "physics" for you jump....

dj

PS the "run" process on the track with the cones will be very helpful for the run and carry...

Kris
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

Unread postby Kris » Wed May 23, 2012 11:38 pm

powerplant42 wrote:

This is true, and not true. There is potential and kinetic going back and forth in a lot of places in the vault... The run, the pole drop, plant, jumping motion, swing, extension, fly-away... Lots of stuff going on in there, including chemical energy being drawn from. In the end, kinetic has been turned into potential, but let's not oversimplify it... But that of course raises the question dj asked: what exactly are you after tpho?

Yes it is very simplified... in reality you turn chemical energy in your body into kinetic energy in your run, which you then turn into potential energy as your pole bends, releasing it as kinetic energy which is once again turned into potential energy (height), which is finally turned back into kinetic energy when you fall down to the mat.

But the key factor is turning the kinetic energy of your run into the potential energy of your height

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”