Adult Michigander wishes to pole vault again

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

Mcleodjw
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current High School Coach, M50-55 Master Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'3"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Adult Michigander wishes to pole vault again

Unread postby Mcleodjw » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Yup, I'm going through my second childhood.
I vaulted in high school and now I'm a high pole vault coach. My problem is finding a facility between the Saginaw to Flint area of Michigan.
I had a bet with my kids that if they could beat their PR, I would vault for them. Well, needless to say, they won. Now, I have the urge to vault again.
If anyone knows of a facility that will allow a 49 year old kid to vault, please let me know.
Thanks,

John
It's not who I am underneath, but what I do, that defines me.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: Adult Michigander wishes to pole vault again

Unread postby fishman4god » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:44 pm

Hey glad to here you have the bug, it is still just as much fun although you will find your recovery time is ..............a bit longer than it used to be. Why not jump where your kids jump, thats what alot of us masters do. We coach and demonstrate/jump with, before or after the kids jump. They usually like it and it give you a bit more credibility when they see you do, what you ask then to do! Good luck be safe and have fun!

Mcleodjw
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current High School Coach, M50-55 Master Vaulter

Unread postby Mcleodjw » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately, school is done until fall. The mats have been put away for the winter. My kids want to continue but we have no where to practice.
Like I said, if I must, I'll drive a little to get to a facility.

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:52 am

You can also post this under your region on this message board. I know there is TONS of vaulting for masters in your area. I can think of five vaulters off the top of my head but I'm just not familiar enough with the area to advise. Have fun and welcome back. We have been waiting for you! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Mcleodjw
PV Fan

Unread postby Mcleodjw » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:49 pm

Thank you for the welcome back, Bubba.
Weird thing. I was just reading your blog.

The journey has begun, again.

John

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:04 pm

Great to have you back and thanks for reading the blog. Daily pain and sufferring with an attempt to keep the bitching to a minimum! ;-)

Both John Large and Howard Booth are champion level masters vaulters from Michigan and frequent this message board. I'm sure they can direct you! Have fun with it! Bubba

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:09 pm

Not sure how your school system works but we started a USATF club through third paty insurance that uses the school facilities year round. We cover, maintain and care for the poles, pit etc. and recruit, coach and train all ages of up and cominmg vaulters hence enhanceing the schools track program and generating awareness and safety of our beloved event. You will benefit from continued (legal) contact time with your kids and have a great place(your own) to practice. It involves a little leg work and maybe even a sales pitch :) but it is worth it. We are beginning year three and I have 7-8 vaulters (including masters) vaulters in the club. It is great fun and our school loves the fact that we are on campus looking out for their interest all summer! Just my 2 cents and Ditto on what Bubba said :)

Mcleodjw
PV Fan

Unread postby Mcleodjw » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:25 pm

Thank you very much for the advise.
I will look into the "club" option.
Once again, the journey begins.

John

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:32 pm

I've done the club thing too and it is highly effective. By far the best way to do it because the liability insurance policy is sent to and names the school from USATF's carrier.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:51 am

I'll add my welcome back. A smile always comes to me when I hear of another vaulter wanting to take it up again. Once you get yourself a place to practice, just remember your body has probably not been subjected to the stresses of our sport for quite a while and that means injuries can and do happen. So be careful and listen to your body's warning messages before it tells you you've gone too far. Injury rehab definitely takes longer now and the loss of conditioning during down time is quicker. I was out of the sport for 35 years before coming back about 9 years ago.

Enjoy your comeback, and show the kids you coach just how much fun it can be.
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

Vaulting prof
PV Fan
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Former Collegiate vaulter 1963-4, College coach

Unread postby Vaulting prof » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:27 am

Welcome back to the greatest sport in the world--- ( in my biased opinion)---.
I have a group of masters vaulters that jump at my place with me through the summer. And, I will probably again organize a Masters workout evening at EMU's Bowen Field house for the winter.
Most of us are coaches as well masters pole vaulters and would be happy to share our conditioning experiences and pole vault training as we enjoy trying to push our bodies and improve our technique while avoiding injury.
I live about 20 miles northwest of Ann Arbor, so it would be about an hour a drive from the Flint area. That's not atypical, many of the group drive 30 or 40 minutes to practice.
Send me a message and we can discuss details via e-mail if you are interested.

Howard Booth aka vaulting prof
Use it or loose it

Mcleodjw
PV Fan

Unread postby Mcleodjw » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:37 pm

I agree with you. It really is the greatest sport.
I'll shoot you a message regarding the specifics.
Something else, I'm looking for a good used pole. Probably a 13'6", 180 to start.
John

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”