Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Lipscomb looking for PV coach

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:47 pm

http://www.ustfccca.org/2012/07/jobs/vo ... tant-coach

Volunteer Assistant Coach

VOLUNTEER ASSISTANT COACH at Lipscomb University (Nashville, TN)
Posted in Division I on July 11, 2012
Lipscomb University, a NCAA Division I member of the Atlantic Sun Conference, is currently accepting applications for the position of Volunteer Assistant Coach for the Pole Vault.
Founded in 1891, Lipscomb is a private, Christian, Liberal Arts University offering numerous undergraduate and graduate degree programs and is located approximately 4 miles south of Nashville, TN. With an enrollment of just under 4,000 students, Lipscomb is prized for its small class sizes and amazing opportunities while being located in one of the most vibrant, fun cities in the Nation, making it one of the most unique college environments, especially at the NCAA DI level.
Minimum qualifications include; Bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4 year institution, previous collegiate pole vault experience as an athlete, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to work in a team environment putting overall program goals first. A commitment to coaching the whole person and modeling the Christian faith are essential.
Preferred qualifications include; Collegiate competitive vaulting experience, Minimum of 2 years previous successful coaching experience at the high school and/or collegiate level, USATF and/or USTFCCCA coaching certification.
This position is an incredible opportunity for the right candidate to gain valuable coaching experience at the NCAA DI level with a growing vault and track & field program.

Branko720
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach

Re: Lipscomb looking for PV coach

Unread postby Branko720 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:21 am

I know the pole vault is only one event, but I cannot believe the demands they have for a volunteer position. Are they really serious? Are they even offering free graduate studies?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:06 am

Getting the foot in the door can be tough...

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:18 am

Almost impossible actually............unless you know smeone :D If you are in the area and meet their standards you should jump on it...no pun intended ;)

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:38 am

Those are pretty high standards for a Volunteer coach......nothing like asking a lot of your free labor.
Man Up and Jump

Branko720
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach

Unread postby Branko720 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:08 am

I'll tell you what if I had a business and was looking for an employee and asked for a minimum of a bachelor's degree and 8 years experience in the field (4 year hs vaulting 4 years college vaulting,) I would have to offer some decent pay. I'll tell you what as coaches we need to figure out what our value is and stop giving it up for free. I understand that getting your foot in the door is tough, and I can see a school putting up a volunteer position, but you have no right making demands then. If they want all those qualifications they should be offering some pay. It doesn't have to be a full time position, but volunteer come on?

I have made it a part of my weekly internet routine to look up college job postings and I cannot believe the schools that on a yearly basis offer volunteer pole vault coaching positions. Sometimes they have similar demands that Lipscomb is requiring other times they don't, but I am amazed either way because in most cases it is a school with a huge athletic department the has incredible funding. That is amazing to me.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter

Unread postby fishman4god » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:20 am

A sign of the times it would seem.

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Unread postby PV2020 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:46 am

Maybe this needs a new thread but it is somewhat related since they have so many demands looking for a succesful Coach to volunteer. I would figure if they were succesful they would be somewhere that paid.

What are the most succesful programs that currently have volunteer pole vault coaches? Only two i even know Of are Rice and VT.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:26 am

The NCAA has a limit as to the number of coaches they allow a DI team to have on staff. They are allowed one extra if it is a volunteer PV coach. The only way you're getting paid at 99% of schools is if you are coaching multiple events.

This job is demanding nothing other than coaching pole vaulters. Normally these postings list a wide range of duties that would be expected of you.

The qualifications are not that high, all of the paid positions want a masters degree and actual college coaching experience. You can't compare 4 years of vaulting in high school and 4 years of vaulting in college the way you would 8 years of actual job experience, give me a break.

This sounds like a decent opportunity for someone who is working in the area and wants to give college coaching a try.

It would be great if all pole vault coaches made decent amounts of money doing what we love do, but lots of people in lots of jobs aren't getting paid what they want right now.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:31 pm

PV2020 wrote:Maybe this needs a new thread but it is somewhat related since they have so many demands looking for a succesful Coach to volunteer. I would figure if they were succesful they would be somewhere that paid.

What are the most succesful programs that currently have volunteer pole vault coaches? Only two i even know Of are Rice and VT.

The Minnesota men's coach is a volunteer as well as the women's coach. They both have had success in the last 5-10 years.
Chris Milton

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:31 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:The NCAA has a limit as to the number of coaches they allow a DI team to have on staff. They are allowed one extra if it is a volunteer PV coach. The only way you're getting paid at 99% of schools is if you are coaching multiple events.

This job is demanding nothing other than coaching pole vaulters. Normally these postings list a wide range of duties that would be expected of you.

The qualifications are not that high, all of the paid positions want a masters degree and actual college coaching experience. You can't compare 4 years of vaulting in high school and 4 years of vaulting in college the way you would 8 years of actual job experience, give me a break.

This sounds like a decent opportunity for someone who is working in the area and wants to give college coaching a try.

It would be great if all pole vault coaches made decent amounts of money doing what we love do, but lots of people in lots of jobs aren't getting paid what they want right now.

Right you are! Pole vaulters are rare .....always have been...and pole vault coaches even more so. The value of what we do has great value to our athletes and obviously to us as well........however as far as Universitys are concerned the small number of athlete contacts we have does not warrant the price of a paid position unless as stated above they also coach other events. This has always been true in High school coaching(paid) positions and I beleive it is here to stay in University circles as well. Not being disrespectful to any one who coaches, paid or volunteer but we are doing it because we love it, if you can get your foot in the door as a volunteer the odds of beng paid later are much better. We coach vaulters and vault ourselves we are an elite group of individuls any way you slice it! :D

mabelena
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'9"

Re: central NJ looking for a high school PV coach

Unread postby mabelena » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:18 pm

Any suggestions or info on where to post a job opportunity for a High School PV Coach in Central NJ?

Return to “Pole Vault - College”