Question about a Pole Vault Car Rack

Got something for sale? Looking to buy something? Post it here, but make sure to read the rules first!

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

therealrico
PV Newbie
Expertise: none
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Patrick Duany

Question about a Pole Vault Car Rack

Unread postby therealrico » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:56 am

Hey Guys,

So I produce this or am trying to produce this <a href="http://winterracks.com/">snowboard rack</a>. So yesterday I get a call from someone in Georgia asking if he thought this would be a suitable product for carrying pole vaults. I didn't think it could because of the amount of space that holds the boards down wouldn't accommodate a pole, and besides that wasn't the purpose of the product when I built it. He went on to tell me that he had been using a ski tote, which is fairly similar to the snowboard rack to carry the pole vaults. He also told me how well something like that would do if it were on the market as he had been approached by many people asking about his system for carrying a pole vault. So naturally that got me thinking and made me realize how relatively simple it would be to produce something like this and sell it if there was a demand for it.

So basically I am starting to do some market research and curious if you guys could tell me if this is something you would be interested in and would buy and use? I would appreciate any feedback you guys can give. I admittedly am not that knowledgeable about Pole vaulting and how many people do it and the potential market for an item such as this. So anything you can tell me about that would be really appreciated.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: Question about a Pole Vault Car Rack

Unread postby fishman4god » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:03 pm

Well some might want one if the cost was, relatively speaking low, however most of us........and correct me if I am wrong fellow vaulters generally just"rig" something to get our poles from A to B. Some of us use manufactured "pole" bags or "tube and bag" systems, but most free form tie them to our vehicles in any number of ways that you might not believe. I use PVC pipe and foam on the top of my Honda civic. Others use cardboard tubes and rope from mirror to trunk etc. But hey check around you never know.

bpcooper14
PV Newbie
Expertise: college coach

Unread postby bpcooper14 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Something similar to that already exists. Google search for "Jiffy Car rack" and you should find some results and discussion on them.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:44 pm

I checked out the Jiffey car rack and that is actually pretty cool. The only downside is that it only holds 2 poles...or as the ad says 2 javelins. I guess you could put 2 on, they are only 30 bucks each, and that way you could carry 4 poles. my guess is that there is a weight issue on the windows with more than 2 poles also you need a four door for it to work properly. Pretty cool though :D

Return to “Sales Forum”