Not too late to start pole vaulting again!

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

Mike Ritter
PV Wannabe
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Not too late to start pole vaulting again!

Unread postby Mike Ritter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:56 pm

After a 38 year lay off I tried pole vaulting again today, thanks to Bob Meeker and his Monument Hill Vault Club in Monument, CO. I'm 56 and last vaulted in high school in 1974, but had a real "blast from the past" feeling today. Started with some drills and kept it pretty simple for my first day. Didn't use a real bar so no actual height was cleared, but Bob said I was way over the 6'6" bungee line during drills. I felt I got off to a decent start, but it was only a start. The session was with some high school vaulters, so there definitely was some inspiration on hand also. Have a few very minor aches and pains - legs mostly - but overall I feel great and look forward to the next training session. So, if you have had a long lay off or just want to try vaulting later in life - go for it - you won't regret it!
Last edited by Mike Ritter on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Not too late to start pole vaulting again!

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:55 pm

Congratulations!

Mcleodjw
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current High School Coach, M50-55 Master Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'3"

Unread postby Mcleodjw » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Congrats and welcome to the fever.
I started back this year too. I'm going to be 50 in December. I started coaching at the local high school this spring. Next thing you know, I had a pole in my hand and I was running down the runway. I never looked back.
One word of advice, get into shape. I jumped 6'-0", then I wanted more.
The old saying rings true. "The mind is willing, but the body has another thing in mind."
Needless to say, I received an Ab strain while trying to clear 8'-6". The injury lasted for three months.
I now have a new plan. Condition, condition, condition. I run, exercise three to four times a week.
Welcome back and good luck.

John
It's not who I am underneath, but what I do, that defines me.

Mike Ritter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Mike Ritter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:31 am

John - Sounds like excellent advice. It is now Wednesday morning (the day after) and I feel pretty good and have no injuries. I'll definitely take it slow when it comes to actual vaulting heights vs. drills recommended by the coach. M.
Last edited by Mike Ritter on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Spend your time in the early months of your comeback regaining strength, endurance, flexibility (really important) and some speed work and drills. I am now about 1.5 years into my comeback (I am 54) and I had alot of nagging injuries early on from a simple lack of conditioning. I cant emphasize enough how being patient and of course having fun is. Welcome back and best wishes.......we have been waiting for you! :D

Mike Ritter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Mike Ritter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks fishman - good advice. I have a good coach so I'm sure that will help a lot too. M.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:26 pm

Welcome back Mike. You might be surprised to see just how many of us there are that fit your description. Every one of us will sing the same songs; gradually get your body back in condition to take the stresses of the vault, and, listen to your body. When it gives you a slight little warning, don't "man up", instead back away and you'll be ready to vault another day. ;)
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

Mike Ritter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Mike Ritter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:52 am

I hear you Master - I'll try to stay healthy and always live to vault another day. M.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:59 am

Yes master is wise!

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:06 pm

I was at Pat Manson's / John Carmony's place near Boulder yesterday with Rory Quiller. How far are you from there? I stay near Highland Ranch twice per month and need a closer vault place.
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Mike Ritter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Mike Ritter » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:13 am

PM sent. M.

larry d
PV Fan
Expertise: former h.s. vaulter. Current Masters vaulter and decathlon competitor
Lifetime Best: 12 ft. 3in
Favorite Vaulter: john altendorf

Unread postby larry d » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Hey Mike,
Good to hear there's someone kind of "old' ,like I am, just starting out also. I just heard about the"Masters" program when researching the Olympic vault results. Wow!! ...What a pleasant surprise to know we graybeards can continue to jump,run ,and so on.
I just took my first jumps this week without a bar or anything after working hard for 7-8 weeks to get back in good shape .
Are you sitting down ? ... It's been 46yrs, in my senior yr. of high school(1966), since I vaulted . I know,"crazy" right ??

But just like you said, what a rush! It felt so good to jump again. Even the drills were fun because of the anticipation.It made me feel like a kid again!

I have to thank Walt Cramer at Olivet U. for getting me started. He's a highly regarded vault coach here in north central Illinois.
Oh, I jumped 12ft. 3in. with a steel pole.(no glass was even available to us then) L.
Get off the couch !!!

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”