Not too late to start pole vaulting again!

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

breadnbutterdoc
PV Newbie
Expertise: parent, former high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12 ft
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: me

Re: Not too late to start pole vaulting again!

Unread postby breadnbutterdoc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:09 am

Hi guys! I'm another former high school PVer. While watching my youngest daughter learn the (new) basics, I had the wild-hair idea to lose some weight, get in shape and (finally) learn how to really pole vault. Wouldn't it be a hoot to beat my PR of 11'6" at age 60????

I'm only one month into my get-back-in-shape regimen. I'm 59 (this New Years Eve), but thankfully I'm healthy; never been hurt; and only (!) 15-20 pounds over my ideal weight.

I've been running a 30 minute hills routine almost every day at the gym. Did some sprints during Hannah's lesson at the track. Working on core strength - which will help my perpetually weak and easy-to-tweak lower back.

I know everyone is unique, but do you guys have some broad guidelines on "getting back in shape" before trying to vault again? Months spent? BMI index? Number of sit-ups at a time?

Paul in NW Houston

PS. Has anybody ever lost weight on "just" working out? I can run again; but I haven't dieted yet. Still exactly the same weight. Frustrating...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:24 am

I think being able to stay healthy while sprinting and jumping is a good indicator that you're ready to try pole vaulting again. Do try to ge that lower back as strong as possible, regular chiropractic care may be helpful as well.

Unfortunately, weight loss has more to do with diet than working out. You'll probably gain some muscle, so I would worry more about your body composition than the numbers on the scale.

Good luck!

Mike Ritter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Mike Ritter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:33 am

The advice I have gotten which has worked for me is SLOW - SLOW - SLOW. In exercising, training, vaulting and your attempted weight loss. This is what I was told (review this Thread) and has worked so far.

I didn't have to worry about weight but stretching a ton before any exercising (pole vault specific or not) has been the key for me. Started in September of 2012 after a 38 year pole vault lay off. No injuries at all to date and competed in my first meet on Saturday, 12/15/12. Had a blast even though I went out at 8"6", it still was my first meet clearance since 1974 - what a rush. Can't wait for next meet on 1/5/13.

I walk or hike practically every day and vault about twice a week. Now that winter is here, that will be tougher to do. I guess patience and persistence will be the key.

Core is important and specific drills from the coach helped me - high bar, rope, etc. I do some sit-ups, but I don't count them, depends on the day. Not sure about back specific exercises for you though.

If anything becomes a chore, that is the time I would review my plan. FUN has been my key and hope it will be yours too. I'm sure your daughter and fellow vaulters will be an inspiration too - the young kids at my club inspire me.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! Mike

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:36 pm

Congratulations on your first meet Mike!

dallasvaultclub
PV Wannabe
Expertise: 5
Lifetime Best: 15-7
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby dallasvaultclub » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:10 am

NOT TOO LATE....
Last weekend we watched Don Isett jump 10' 6" at 74 years old. Don is a remarkable fellow and an inspiration to our young athletes. You can see a clip that CBS did on Don at:
https://sites.google.com/site/dallasvaultclub/

check it out... amazing...

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Congrats on your first meet....just keep at it and above all (no pun intended) have FUN!!!!

larry d
PV Fan
Expertise: former h.s. vaulter. Current Masters vaulter and decathlon competitor
Lifetime Best: 12 ft. 3in
Favorite Vaulter: john altendorf

Unread postby larry d » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:49 pm

hey mike...glad to see you're still uninjured. congrats on getting your first meet under your belt with a respectable jump...Good Job !!
my first chance to jump at a meet is in late January...can't wait
Larry
Get off the couch !!!

larry d
PV Fan
Expertise: former h.s. vaulter. Current Masters vaulter and decathlon competitor
Lifetime Best: 12 ft. 3in
Favorite Vaulter: john altendorf

Unread postby larry d » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:45 am

Hey B and B Doc,
Welcome to the crowd. i'm 6 yrs. older than you and just started jumping again too. I had the same concerns that you stated but got a little over zealous before all the cautions sunk in and had a few tweaks here and there. All were as you might guess,from not stretching/warming up sufficiently.
I hope this turns out to be a fun experience for you and your daughter...Best of luck
larry
Get off the couch !!!

Mike Ritter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Mike Ritter » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:25 am

larry d wrote:hey mike...glad to see you're still uninjured. congrats on getting your first meet under your belt with a respectable jump...Good Job !!
my first chance to jump at a meet is in late January...can't wait
Larry

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Mike

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:06 am

OK gonna jump in and say I was just like you guys almost 2 years ago (i'll be 55 in February) and after several injuries set-backs lots of soreness etc,etc I jumped 4.01 meters (13'1.5") at The florida senior games December 8th 2012. I started much, much lower 2 years ago but have steadily improved (thanks Joe for all your help at the "Joe Dome"). So I gess what I am saying is just keep at it you will improve alot! Just look at John A.......truly amazing.......GO MASTERS VAULTERS!!!! and Merry Christams to all!!!!!

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:23 pm

I LOVE this thread. So GREAT to see guys coming back at any age. Congrats to you all. BTW - Fisherman - 4.01m is 13' 1 3/4" - 4m is 13' 1 1/2"!! Don't sell yourself so short!! :) Great job!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Mike Ritter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Mike Ritter » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:39 pm

Had my second meet on 1/5/13 and went out at 8'6" again. A little disappointing, but I still had fun though. I have good speed but a constant late/low plant, but I'm improving. A couple of thoughts and questions.

I use an 11'6" pole and am probably holding (top hand) at maybe 10'6" or less. I'm guessing I should be higher for 8'6" or 9'.

I use what seems to be a very short run up - about 47'. What length are you guys using?

Looking forward to another meet and pole vault attempts this Sunday. Also doing the 60M, L J and T J.

Thanks. Mike

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”