Advice Needed on Take-off

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

jam354
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter

Advice Needed on Take-off

Unread postby jam354 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:04 am

Hello All,

I am coaching a couple beginner vaulters. They both seem to be having a problem that I haven't run into too much. We have just started straight poles from 3 lefts in the pit and everything looks great and as soon as the take off their hips and chest immediately get sucked into the pole like a magnet thus stopping the pole and causing the rest to be a moot point. I have been emphasizing moving hands up and foward continuously through take-off and moving the pole to vertical. I also have been doing lots of slide box and sand pit stuff.

Just wanted to check with all the experts whether I'm on the right track and if anyone has any other advice. Thanks.

Jeff

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Advice Needed on Take-off

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:57 am

Can they do it correctly into the sand pit?

jam354
PV Fan

Unread postby jam354 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:13 am

I would say they could do it better, but only from 2 lefts. Only reason we moved to pit was to compete in a meet.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:59 am

I would say lower their grip.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:54 pm

fishman4god wrote:I would say lower their grip.

Agreed! Drop the grip until the form improves, then raise it a few fingers at a time while maintaining a good takeoff.

Don't rush into the first meet, it's better to build a good foundation and skip a few meets than rush to get them over a bar and build a lot of bad habits.

jam354
PV Fan

Unread postby jam354 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:40 pm

I think the problem I see especially with the girls is that the grip is so low to start that it creates an angle where it is very difficult, if not impossible to get their left hand high. Does anyone else have this problem?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:35 pm

jam354 wrote:I think the problem I see especially with the girls is that the grip is so low to start that it creates an angle where it is very difficult, if not impossible to get their left hand high. Does anyone else have this problem?

Make their grip narrower, you can even do it with the fists together if you slide the pole down the runway.

jam354
PV Fan

Unread postby jam354 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:39 pm

Great idea! Thanks I'll give it a shot

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:04 am

A couple of questions. Do your vaulters pull with their tops hand/arm after takeoff? This will force their hips forward every time. Second, during sand vaults, do you tell your vaulter to catch their left hip on the pole through the sand vault? This teaches them to stay behind the pole. Look at Dave Butlers video in the Development section of this board. Vaulters need a long straight leg at takeoff. Also, post a couple of videos of your vaulters doing these drills. let the vast knowledge on this board help you out.

Good Luck.

jam354
PV Fan

Unread postby jam354 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:43 am

Side note: just started using the app ubersense and it is an awesome tool for coaches. You can take video with your iPhone and then analyze and send to the athlete. Check it out.

Anyway, in analyzing videos of the sand vault, I noticed that the problem was that one girl was taking off with her left arm completely collapsed which was causing her hips to come forward immediately after take off. I have videos but I have to figure out how to get them on here.

jam354
PV Fan

Unread postby jam354 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:49 am

vcpvcoach wrote:A couple of questions. Do your vaulters pull with their tops hand/arm after takeoff? This will force their hips forward every time. Second, during sand vaults, do you tell your vaulter to catch their left hip on the pole through the sand vault? This teaches them to stay behind the pole. Look at Dave Butlers video in the Development section of this board. Vaulters need a long straight leg at takeoff. Also, post a couple of videos of your vaulters doing these drills. let the vast knowledge on this board help you out.

Good Luck.

They were not pulling and they were catching their hip, just immediately after take off which was stopping the pole

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:00 pm

jam354 wrote:Side note: just started using the app ubersense and it is an awesome tool for coaches. You can take video with your iPhone and then analyze and send to the athlete. Check it out.

Anyway, in analyzing videos of the sand vault, I noticed that the problem was that one girl was taking off with her left arm completely collapsed which was causing her hips to come forward immediately after take off. I have videos but I have to figure out how to get them on here.

The left arm shouldn't be doing much during the drill. You can do the drill correctly with one arm or with both hands together. The problem you are describing is more likely caused by overgripping or not taking off with proper mechanics.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”