US Agent offering cash incentive for elite male vaulters

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

US Agent offering cash incentive for elite male vaulters

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:42 pm

http://klocke1.tumblr.com/post/41835837 ... pole-vault

RAISE THE BAR: Cash Incentive for U.S. Male Pole Vault

My thought is to be a part of the solution. I personally would like to enjoy seeing United States pole vault restored to prominence. To be be aligned with the entire world. I’m offering a cash incentive challenge to U.S. Male vaulters who may be serious about achieving elite status. This challenge is for emerging pole vaulters and there will be no cap on the number of participants.

If you aren’t serious about “achieving” elite status. Please don’t waste precious time. In case you are wondering. Elite status is 5.80m. Serious candidates only. You may contact me by via e-mail listed on my webpage.

Confidentiality: Athlete shall not disclose the financial terms or other incentive terms.

Karen Locke

hiphipjorge
PV Beginner
Favorite Vaulter: Chad Harting

Re: US Agent offering cash incentive for elite male vaulters

Unread postby hiphipjorge » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:52 am

Perhaps an additional chunk of money offered to those that stay off the blogs, tweets, facebook and all the other garbage until they do jump high. Less self promotion and more focus on 5.80. Once the 80 comes, the promotion will take care of itself. We have some talent, so lets put the head down, focus and go to work.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:29 am

hiphipjorge wrote:Perhaps an additional chunk of money offered to those that stay off the blogs, tweets, facebook and all the other garbage until they do jump high. Less self promotion and more focus on 5.80. Once the 80 comes, the promotion will take care of itself. We have some talent, so lets put the head down, focus and go to work.

I think it's good to have a personality and connect with fans, if you can do so without taking away from your training. If you are doing it right, it can make you more marketable. Look at Lolo Jones.

Of all the things that are wrong with the PV in the US, I personally don't think Twitter is one of the problems.

ndirish23
PV Beginner
Expertise: Fan

Unread postby ndirish23 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 am

hiphipjorge wrote:Perhaps an additional chunk of money offered to those that stay off the blogs, tweets, facebook and all the other garbage until they do jump high. Less self promotion and more focus on 5.80. Once the 80 comes, the promotion will take care of itself. We have some talent, so lets put the head down, focus and go to work.

It would be great if elite vaulters in the US could focus 100% of their time and energy on training. Unfortunately, they must also consider how to finance their significant training costs. One of the best ways to receive support is to build a loyal following, especially among pole vault clubs and younger vaulters. The best way to reach this audience is through Twitter, Facebook, blogs, etc.

KLocke
PV Whiz

Unread postby KLocke » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Shameless self promotion will eventually backfire. It will provide pressure to perform consistent, make teams. Building community is the key to creating value for these guys. ie. Phoenix group, Walker,Starkey.

Few will truly convey who they "truly" are online. The truth is perhaps less interesting. U.S. has 2 active men with PB's over 19ft. That isn't interesting. "Raise The Bar" is community focused.

ndirish23 wrote:

It would be great if elite vaulters in the US could focus 100% of their time and energy on training. Unfortunately, they must also consider how to finance their significant training costs. One of the best ways to receive support is to build a loyal following, especially among pole vault clubs and younger vaulters. The best way to reach this audience is through Twitter, Facebook, blogs, etc.

ndirish23
PV Beginner

Unread postby ndirish23 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:59 pm

I totally agree that shameless self promotion is counterproductive. My point is that there is plenty of room between no use of social media and shameless self promotion that not only isn't harmful to training but can actually be helpful to athletes by creating funding opportunities that would not have existed otherwise.

Pole vault for some elites is not just a passion but a business. It would be silly to suggest that they should not leverage social media in the same way that almost all companies do today.

KLocke
PV Whiz

Unread postby KLocke » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:26 pm

It's official! I'm silly and that's all I will say about that. Except, thank you, Nick Hysong,Brad Walker, Derek Miles, Steve Chappell and Danny Wilkerson for engaging in dialogue. Onward and Upward.

http://klocke1.tumblr.com/post/42227463 ... se-the-bar

ndirish23 wrote:I

It would be silly to suggest that they should not leverage social media in the same way that almost all companies do today.

ndirish23
PV Beginner

Unread postby ndirish23 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:33 pm

That comment was directed at the original response which stated athletes should not use social media at all. I just don't like the idea of criticizing people for using blogs, twitter, etc. I give them credit for trying to build a brand. I'm sorry if you took offense to my statement.

I applaud your efforts and view them as a huge positive for the sport.

KLocke
PV Whiz

Unread postby KLocke » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Actually, at this stage of their career, they are Re-branding. Their brand [NCAA All-American;NCAA Champ;All Conference;USA Champ] is established. They are doing it. Except according to statistics, they are currently doing it akin to U.S. Racewalking ranking level with Walker being the exception. I think that you and I may agree that Racewalking isn't as "exciting" as pole vaulting guys jumping high bars?

However, what is nice and valuable is that these young men are surrounded by a plethora of experienced and successful pole vault people. Once that all comes together and they reinvent who they are, they can then leverage who they are. Finally, having a story to tell. Everyone cannot be Jeff Hartwig, Nick Hysong or Tim Mack. But, we have basic talent and some have yet to define who they are. Anyway, thanks for caring. The discussion is good and necessary.

Raise the bar!

http://klocke1.tumblr.com/post/42227463 ... se-the-bar

ndirish23 wrote:That comment was directed at the original response which stated athletes should not use social media at all. I just don't like the idea of criticizing people for using blogs, twitter, etc. I give them credit for trying to build a brand. I'm sorry if you took offense to my statement.

I applaud your efforts and view them as a huge positive for the sport.

ndirish23
PV Beginner

Unread postby ndirish23 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:31 pm

To some extent there is definitely rebranding. However, to the vast majority of people in this country, even the top names in pole vault are complete unknowns. Pole vault is an exciting sport and most people that see it for the first time in person are amazed by it. But truthfully, those newcomers don't know the difference between 5.50 and 5.90.

I think that social media is a great tool for these athletes to use because there is such an untapped market of people/companies that would be willing to provide support to the top athletes in the US even before they reach the point of truly being competitive on the international stage. Admittedly, it will probably (for at least the foreseeable future) be the shoe companies that provide the most funding in this sport. However, social media can be extremely helpful in raising smaller chunks of money. If you build a following and have 1,000 visitors to your website a day, you are going to have a chance to do some successful fundraising.

With enough effort, these smaller chunks of money can be very meaningful when it comes to compensating a full-time coaching, paying for that coach to travel to all your meets, etc.

Money is only one piece of the puzzle. But there is a lot of opportunity (in non-traditional venues, i.e. shoe companies, traditional sponsors) out there for those that put in the effort to get their name out there that can make the financial side more comfortable and therefore allow 100% focus on jumping higher.

KLocke
PV Whiz

Unread postby KLocke » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:03 pm

Speaking from my own knowledge. Facebook followers did not help Tye Harvey;Derek Miles;Gio Lanaro;Brad Walker;Toby Steven get over 5.80.

Apologies to you. I'm the one who doesn't give damn about Facebook or their website. There is a time and place for everything.

That is all.......

ndirish23 wrote:To some extent there is definitely rebranding. However, to the vast majority of people in this country, even the top names in pole vault are complete unknowns. Pole vault is an exciting sport and most people that see it for the first time in person are amazed by it. But truthfully, those newcomers don't know the difference between 5.50 and 5.90.

I think that social media is a great tool for these athletes to use because there is such an untapped market of people/companies that would be willing to provide support to the top athletes in the US even before they reach the point of truly being competitive on the international stage. Admittedly, it will probably (for at least the foreseeable future) be the shoe companies that provide the most funding in this sport. However, social media can be extremely helpful in raising smaller chunks of money. If you build a following and have 1,000 visitors to your website a day, you are going to have a chance to do some successful fundraising.

With enough effort, these smaller chunks of money can be very meaningful when it comes to compensating a full-time coaching, paying for that coach to travel to all your meets, etc.

Money is only one piece of the puzzle. But there is a lot of opportunity (in non-traditional venues, i.e. shoe companies, traditional sponsors) out there for those that put in the effort to get their name out there that can make the financial side more comfortable and therefore allow 100% focus on jumping higher.

ndirish23
PV Beginner

Unread postby ndirish23 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:11 pm

Of course Facebook followers won't help anyone jump higher. However, there is the potential that social media can help to build a community that can in turn lead to gaining some financial support. And I don't think it is controversial to say that financial support does play a role in building a successful training environment.

And by the way, I'm not at all saying that these types of branding efforts will be what ultimately leads to success. There are clearly other issues to consider as well.

I just believe we should not discourage vaulters from sharing their experiences because it only can help build interest in the sport and taking this type of proactive approach to one's career is a positive and not a negative in my opinion.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”