Ordering the "Pole you Need"

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

ClintonMagus
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent of a Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11-6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Ordering the "Pole you Need"

Unread postby ClintonMagus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 am

I learned something useful the other day that the rest of you probably already know: When ordering a pole from a manufacturer, you can request poles with specific flexes, or a range of flexes, often for little or no additional charge. I have always ordered poles by length and weight, and just took whatever they had in stock. Recently, however, I have ordered by "soft", "medium", or "stiff" flex, for no additional charge. I have not tried to get more specific, but have been told that I can also order a flex range i.e., 21.3-21.5 for a small (or no) additional charge.

nitro
PV Master

Re: Ordering the "Pole you Need"

Unread postby nitro » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:17 pm

Ordering by flex numbers is very important so you don't go from a small flex of one pole to a stiff flex of the next pole making it more of a 10 pound leap in weight compared to the 5 pound increment that you wanted.
pain is only temporary victory is forever

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Re: Ordering the "Pole you Need"

Unread postby botakatobi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:53 pm

The first fiberglass poles in 1949 were offered in three models, each of which was manufactured in six different flexions.

Knowing the flex number of your poles is helpful in making easier transitions.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”