Pole Taping Rules

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Mike Ritter
PV Wannabe
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Pole Taping Rules

Unread postby Mike Ritter » Tue May 21, 2013 2:16 pm

My right hand tends to slip down at times when vaulting. I bought some stickum spray and that helps. But, I was wondering what the rules say about building up a little extra tape near the top (a bump so to speak) to help prevent my hand from slipping. Thanks. Mike

ClintonMagus
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent of a Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11-6
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Re: Pole Taping Rules

Unread postby ClintonMagus » Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 pm

NFHS rules state:

"ART. 2… The vaulting pole may be of any material and of any length and diameter. It may have a binding of not more than two layers of adhesive tape of uniform thickness. However, the bottom of the pole may be protected by several layers of tape, PVC, metal, sponge rubber or other suitable material to protect it when placed in the planting box."

"ART. 5… Prior to warm-up, the field referee, head field judge or assigned inspector of implements shall inspect each pole to be used in the competition to verify that the poles are legal equipment, per Rule 7-5-3. This includes checking the placement of a top hand-hold band, numerical pole ratings a minimum of ¾ inches in a contrasting color located within or above the top hand-hold band, and the proper binding of not more than two layers of adhesive tape of uniform thickness. The binding shall not be on or above the top hand-hold band."

USATF Section 5, Article 2 is the same as NFHS:

"The vaulting pole may be of any material and of any length and
diameter. It may have a binding of layers of adhesive tape of uniform thickness
on the grip end. The plant end of the pole may be protected by layers of tape,
PVC, metal, sponge rubber or other suitable material to protect it when placed in
the planting box."

I think the key here is "uniform thickness"...

We use this: http://www.findtape.com/product245/Jayb ... 7AodakEABg

it has a great texture and is the best we have found.

Mike Ritter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Mike Ritter » Tue May 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Thanks, I figured it might be something like that. Mike

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Tue May 21, 2013 10:29 pm

The USATF rules appear to be less specific regarding the number of layers as long as they are uniform. Those are the rules that typically govern the masters events.

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Fri May 31, 2013 2:56 pm

grandevaulter wrote:The USATF rules appear to be less specific regarding the number of layers as long as they are uniform. Those are the rules that typically govern the masters events.

Actually, USATF is pretty specific because there is no limit on the number of layers you can use. Just keep the binding uniform from top to bottom and no official will ding you.

ClintonMagus is using an old NFHS rule book because there is no limit to the number of layers of binding
and more. That was changed in 2012.

ClintonMagus
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent of a Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11-6
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Unread postby ClintonMagus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:35 am

Vaultref wrote:
grandevaulter wrote:The USATF rules appear to be less specific regarding the number of layers as long as they are uniform. Those are the rules that typically govern the masters events.

Actually, USATF is pretty specific because there is no limit on the number of layers you can use. Just keep the binding uniform from top to bottom and no official will ding you.

ClintonMagus is using an old NFHS rule book because there is no limit to the number of layers of binding
and more. That was changed in 2012.

You are correct. I was looking at an older version. Here is the current one:

"The vaulting pole may be of any material and of any length and
diameter. It may have a binding of layers of adhesive tape of uniform thickness
on the grip end. The plant end of the pole may be protected by layers of tape,
PVC, metal, sponge rubber or other suitable material to protect it when placed in
the planting box."

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”