2014 European Championships Results

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
RPVA03
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School and College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach

2014 European Championships Results

Unread postby RPVA03 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:41 am

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Re: 2014 European Championships Results

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Since when is Russia in Europe?
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Unread postby PV2020 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:11 pm

Russia is everywhere.... They are only one land purchase away from being able to compete in the PanAm Games.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:09 am

Israel is in the European League too. someone tried to explain it to me once. Something about attempting to avoid political tensions between some of these countries at an athletics level
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:59 pm

[rant]
Politics, and jokes aside, Russia is quite rightly in Europe, based on geography. Moscow is in Europe, and (I'm guessing) the majority of the Russian population is still in Europe - not Asia (despite the breakup of the USSR). The so-called boundary between Europe and Asia is the Ural Mountain range, down to the Caspian Sea.

Israel is in the MidEast (geographically considered part of Asia, but rather distant from nations in Southeast Asia), so from a sports competition point of view, I can see how they have more affinity to Europe (and North Africa) than Asia - even just from a travel cost perspective. So I doubt it's just politics.

The European Union also includes some countries near the Mideast and Caspian Sea, again based on proximity and "trading partners" more than taking the word "Europe" literally and drawing artificial borders around the so-called continent of Europe.

Even from a purely geographic perspective, Europe is only half of Eurasia - a single continent. So go figure how you define a continent.

From a sports perspective, I think we need to think beyond physical continents and politics, and encourage friendly competition with our neighbours as well as those that we have special affinities with. This is why IMHO, Pan-Am Games, Oceania / Pacific Games, and Commonwealth Games, for example, are good.

Ditto European Championships.
[/rant]

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

CB
PV Whiz
Expertise: PV Coach

Unread postby CB » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:28 am

Churandy Martina is from Curaçao the Caribbean. He must also participate in the European Championship. It's a part of the Netherlands.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”