Video Review of Cameron Meyer

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
SFAPoleVaultDAD
PV Newbie
Expertise: Parent
Lifetime Best: None
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Morgan LeLeaux, Cameron Meyer

Video Review of Cameron Meyer

Unread postby SFAPoleVaultDAD » Sat May 23, 2015 1:00 am

Just want to see what all you experts think.

He is a hard worker and he would appreciate the advice on what he needs to do to improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQKFVGjTE1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlgsqnVgc5k

Hopefully I did it right but if not just you tube Cameron Meyer 18' and 19' and you should be able to see them.

Thanks

SFAPoleVaultDAD
PV Newbie

Re: Video Review of Cameron Meyer

Unread postby SFAPoleVaultDAD » Mon May 25, 2015 12:53 am

No response from KirkB????

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon May 25, 2015 3:21 am

Sorry, I have no time this week to look at the vids.

I might have some time in a week or two.

Maybe Coach Eric, or some other coach can comment?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Unread postby PV2020 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:53 am

SFA Dad, your son goes to a university that over the past two years has had some of the top men, and woman in the university in the pole vault. I think their coach has the whole coaching thing down right now.

Sometimes their can be too many chefs in the kitchen. I think this post is one of the best examples of how some people just need to trust their coaches and stick to the plan at hand without seeking outside help. If he was at a small school that had no pole vault coach and he was having to use video review for coaching, PVP may be the place to go, but not in this case.

Good luck!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Tue May 26, 2015 4:51 am

I agree with PV2020.

Anyone clearing a 19' bungee doesn't need our help, nor did he personally ask for it.

Whoever is coaching him is doing a fine job without us armchair quarterbacks.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Tue May 26, 2015 8:38 pm

According to http://www.all-athletics.com/node/495606, Cameron's PR is 5.35, so his 18' and 19' clearances are very surprising!

His 18' clearance is believable (just 6" higher than his PR), but he didn't even touch the bungee on his alleged 19' clearance! That's unbelieveable!!!

How can someone with a PR of 17-6 suddenly vault 19 feet? :confused:

SFAPoleVaultDAD, where and on what dates were the 18' and 19' clearances made? And for the alleged 19' clearance, what proof can you provide that it was actually 19'? Can anyone else verify the validity of this jump?

And what is the reason that he's only cleared 17-6 in a meet, but is apparently now easily clearing 19-0 in practice? :confused:

Kirk

SFAPoleVaultDAD
PV Newbie

Unread postby SFAPoleVaultDAD » Wed May 27, 2015 12:07 am

KirkB the exact reason I am posting these video's is to learn from others what my son needs to be doing to jump the heights in meets that he has in practice.

His PR in a USATF certified meet is 5.35. He jumped 18' in a beach vault as you can see from the video and he jumped the 19' bungee at practice. Is the 19' accurate I have no idea but I bet it is pretty close.

I ask for the reviews just to hear opinions and that is all.

Thru my sons participation I have become huge fan of the sport and simply want to here different views.

I am not looking to change or coach my son but just hear opinions of what you see in his vaults.

I hope you will give your opinion because I enjoy reading your post and views of the sport.

Have a great evening.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Wed May 27, 2015 3:17 am

SFAPoleVaultDAD wrote: Thru my sons participation I have become huge fan of the sport ...

Welcome to PVP, and I'm glad you're becoming a big fan of pole vaulting. You should be very proud of your son. Whether he's vaulting 17-6, 19-0, or somewhere in-between, he's doing great!

But I'm a little confused. I'm not sure if your son is an 18-foot vaulter or a 19-foot vaulter. Officially, he's only a 17-6 vaulter. :confused:

I won't be commenting on his vaults for the reasons previously given.

I have no idea how high that alleged 19 foot vault is (and apparently you have no idea either).

But if your son did in fact vault 19 feet (anything above 18 feet is still fantastic), then you need to give it some credibility by at least noting the date and location. Anybody can post anything on youtube and say it's any height they want to say it is. On PVP, we require a little more credibility than that!

Ditto for the 18 foot vault. I believe you when you say that one was 18 feet, but I'd like to see the official results listed from the event. If you want to be taken seriously, you should at least provide the name of the beach vault meet, and perhaps a link to their site.

One hint when documenting PRs on vid is to pan to the scoreboard that shows the bar height right after the clearance is made.

Another reason I'm asking for the dates is because I am puzzled about the amount of time between his 18 foot clearance and his (alleged) 19 foot clearance. I am assuming that there wasn't much time between these two events. And along with the dates, I'm wondering how your son accounts for his sudden improvement?

On the bright side, Cameron's star is rising! I wish him all the best of luck in his upcoming meets!

Kirk

Skyfly
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School and Club Coach

Unread postby Skyfly » Wed May 27, 2015 10:42 am

KirkB wrote:I'm wondering how your son accounts for his sudden improvement?

I'm guessing the big push in the back he received at takeoff played a little into this.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Wed May 27, 2015 1:12 pm

Skyfly wrote: I'm guessing the big push in the back he received at takeoff played a little into this.

Good catch, Skyfly! I hadn't noticed that before you pointed it out, as I'm not too interested in looking at vaults where the particulars (height, grip, pole weight, vaulter's history, etc) are unknown.

This vault is way too sketchy. It is not worthy of analytical comments from ANYONE! It's not even a true vault if it's propelled by a tap!

SFAPoleVaultDAD, you are doing your son (and the sport in general) a disservice by not disclosing that this was a tap vault. And this clearance was already dubious, due to lack of credible evidence re the height of the bungee.

Tap vaults don't impress me at all. They are a crutch and are a distraction from better, safer training methods.

So if you really want my advice, here it is: Don't tap!

Kirk

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Wed May 27, 2015 2:21 pm

Video quality is very poor.

I wonder if the 90 degree trail leg to a whip kick produces diminishing results. Some say that a straight trail leg produces more energy, some don't.

In video #1 the ribbon on the standards indicate an approximate 20 mph straight tail wind. MAKE SURE YOU ALWAYS VAULT IN A TAILWIND!

What says you SFAdaddio?

SFAPoleVaultDAD
PV Newbie

Unread postby SFAPoleVaultDAD » Wed May 27, 2015 5:13 pm

18' vault results from 2014 Quintana Beach Vault

http://quintanavault.com/results/

He was in Open men.

I will say you guys are a tough crowd. I did not put these videos on here to by any means brag about my son or to say look at him he made 19'.

I see things in his vault that from my video review need improving and I saw this forum and said I will post some video's and see what you guys think.

He personally struggles with being way under in my opinion and because of this has no knee drive.

He jumps on a 15'9 to 16'1 poles in the 195 to 225 range and struggles to get outside 12' at takeoff.

I have plenty other videos I can send but please understand I am not looking to brag or get his name out there.

I am just looking to learn and if he asks for my help I can be some what learned about what I am talking about

For example we already are working on jumping in a sand pit and jumping to a high bar to simulate jumping into the pole not getting ripped off the ground.

So if you would like to give advice it is appreciated.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”