Pull, turn & push while staying in line with your pole better

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Pull, turn & push while staying in line with your pole better

Unread postby advath » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:05 am

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Pull, turn & push while staying in line with your pole better

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 pm

Good stuff Tim.

I especially like the drill demo'd between 2:40 and 2:42. When prone on the ground, the vaulter is then able to extend his top arm all the way up, literally throwing the pole away from him as he soars skywards.

Vaulters should also try this same drill without any bungee resistance (just throw the pole).

One additional action I would suggest to the prone position drill is to start with a full bend at the hips. From there (rather than from an upright sitting position), the vaulter will experience the full body movement of staying close to the pole all the way through the inversion and extension. Of course to do this enhanced drill, the vaulter will have to tie a knot in the bungee, or shorten it by some other means. Otherwise, there's no tension to pull against when fully bent at the hips.

You will notice that the standing drill (extending the pole straight up) has no body-bending action, and no top arm extension action. That's why I like the drill where the vaulter sits prone on the ground better.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

monteo
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School, Club, College Coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Pull, turn & push while staying in line with your pole better

Unread postby monteo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:30 pm

I like using a plant box, starting from a sitting position and then extending out. It not only allows varying weights for resistance if you load the plant box with weights, it also allows the sensation of pushing the pole away from you at the "top" of the drill. I saw this demonstrated about a month ago, and have been using it since. If find my kids having competitions to see how far they can get the box to slide after release with the "top" hand.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”