Throwing the head back

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
mohammed
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10.6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Throwing the head back

Unread postby mohammed » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:24 pm

Hello
When I vault I always throw my head back in just wanted to know how to fix that problem and what drills I can do I practice to fix it
Thank you

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Throwing the head back

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:33 pm

mohammed wrote:Hello
When I vault I always throw my head back in just wanted to know how to fix that problem and what drills I can do I practice to fix it
Thank you

Practice not throwing your head back.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:09 pm

Kirk's response is clear and to the point. If you had a skip step on your third approach step wouldn't you just work to eliminate that? The fact that you already know that throwing your head back is a problem suggests you shouldn't. The only suggestion I could really offer is remember that inverting comes from a good take off whereby your body is extended, hands high with trail leg back in a position to whip. Inverting in the pole vault is not like doing a back flip where the body follows the head. Think of it more like dropping your shoulders and not your head very similar to swinging on a playground swing. And, if you've ever done this, think able how somewhat disoriented you become putting your head back while swinging.

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:37 pm

Short approach straight pole jumps at a controlled run approach and many repetitions will allow you to correct the head throwing. You can use a benchmark behind the landing pad as a focal point in the takeoff. As your feet swing up to the top of the pole, you can look to your top hand.

Demi Payne throws her head to cover the pole and so does Sam Kendricks. it is not recommended, but some great jumpers have had success and from my schooling it is called a stylistic difference.

Last but not least hold the collar of your tee shirt in your teeth as you jump.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:22 pm

grandevaulter wrote: Demi Payne throws her head to cover the pole and so does Sam Kendricks. it is not recommended, but some great jumpers have had success and from my schooling it is called a stylistic difference.

From my schooling, this is called a FLAW!

There is no scientific reason to throw your head back. In fact, it's counter-productive!

I think if Kendricks could break himself of this habit, he would. There's no advantage to it.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.

Unread postby grandevaulter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:44 pm

I agree with you Kirk,but............. http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/36/62/77/80 ... 4x1024.jpg

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:18 am

Additionally telling a youngster to simply "practice not throwing your head" is not always an effective way to eradicate bad habits. slow it down, shorten it up and perform many, many repetitions of correct head position.

Kirk wrote: "From my schooling this is called a flaw."

Could you elaborate on the detrimental effects of throwing the head when attempting to co re the pole?

sum yung guy
PV Beginner

Unread postby sum yung guy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:56 pm

I agree with Kirk. You see far too many kids doing it and all it does is disorient them. My thought is that you need to see your top hand, feet and crossbar. That is hard to do with your head thrown back. As your hips rise toward your hands the shoulders should drop, not the head.
Kirk?

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:12 pm

sum yung guy wrote:I agree with Kirk. You see far too many kids doing it and all it does is disorient them. My thought is that you need to see your top hand, feet and crossbar. That is hard to do with your head thrown back. As your hips rise toward your hands the shoulders should drop, not the head.
Kirk?

Young guy, you may offer the Mohammed a handy que to correct it or agree with Kirk and think your a pole vault genius. Not only does Demi Payne throw her head, she closes her eyes.

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:45 pm

mohammed wrote:Hello
Thank you

Mohommed, do you throw it immediately after you plant or when you try to push your hips up? video would help.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:12 pm

sum yung guy wrote:I agree with Kirk. You see far too many kids doing it and all it does is disorient them. My thought is that you need to see your top hand, feet and crossbar. That is hard to do with your head thrown back. As your hips rise toward your hands the shoulders should drop, not the head.
Kirk?

Well, I don't actually think that you should focus your eyes/head on ANYTHING. Instead, by doing thousands of reps on the highbar, your head should just naturally stay aligned with your spine (more-or-less). Trying to intentionally do ANYTHING with the head distracts the vaulter, I think, from getting the FEEL of the vault. i.e. the kinisthetic sense of body position in the air. Yes, you COULD look at your top hand or feet if you feel you really must have a visual cue, but that's just a crutch.

And you should NOT look at the cross-bar - that usually tends to cause your legs to drop towards it (instead of shooting over it). Your mileage will vary, of course, depending on your PR. So if your PR is under 12-0 or so (and you're gripping higher than 12-0), then it might be OK to look at the crossbar (but don't continue that bad habit when your PR improves).

grandevaulter wrote: Young guy, you may offer the Mohammed a handy que to correct it or agree with Kirk and think your a pole vault genius. Not only does Demi Payne throw her head, she closes her eyes.

Grandevaulter, I'm not sure what your point is in mentioning Demi Payne. Compared to Sam Kendricks, her neck flex isn't nearly as extreme. Now closing her eyes - THAT'S extreme! I didn't know that she did THAT! :no:

So what is your point? Are you using her as a good example or a bad example? My opinion is that both Demi and Sam would vault higher if they eliminated these flaws.

Kirk

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:14 pm

Sorry Grandevaulter, I just noticed that your PR is under 12-0! :D

Just joking - I hope you see the humor in this! :)

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”