Throwing the head back

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Re: Throwing the head back

Unread postby grandevaulter » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:42 pm

You are a regular comedian Kirk. ;)

Take a look at the picture, if her eyes aren't closed they are really squinted. It seems that she throws her head more than the still shot too. What could it possibly harm at this stage to tip the head back?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:40 am

grandevaulter wrote: Take a look at the picture, if her eyes aren't closed they are really squinted. It seems that she throws her head more than the still shot too. What could it possibly harm at this stage to tip the head back?

So maybe she's following the same playbook as me, and is just FEELING where she is in the air and on the pole? So she doesn't even have to keep her eyes open to know where she is?

That's a bit extreme, I think.

While she's at it, she might as well close her eyes as she's running down the runway. I'll be watching for that in Portland on March 17th. :D

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:45 am

grandevaulter wrote:What could it possibly harm at this stage to tip the head back?

Are you seriously asking this question?

Tipping the head back arches the back. Putting your chin down curves the back (in the opposite direction to arching it).

Arching the back is a serious no-no when you're trying to get your legs above your head. It's all wrong - don't you see that? :confused:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:56 am

KirkB wrote:So maybe she's following the same playbook as me, and is just FEELING where she is in the air and on the pole? So she doesn't even have to keep her eyes open to know where she is?

You can open them now Kirk. :dazed:

KirkB wrote:Tipping the head back arches the back. Putting your chin down curves the back (in the opposite direction to arching it).

Arching the back is a serious no-no when you're trying to get your legs above your head. It's all wrong - don't you see that?

She still contracts the abs even when she throws her head. Kendricks does the same thing.
https://www.facebook.com/elitesportz/po ... nref=story

By the way have you come up with any good cues, drills or information to help Mohommed correct his problem? :idea:

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:04 pm

grandevaulter wrote: ... have you come up with any good cues, drills or information to help Mohommed correct his problem? :idea:

I think I answered that. I said that when you do thousands of reps on a highbar, you don't bend your neck in either direction - just let it set naturally on your shoulders. Then when you get on the pole, you do the same thing. It's really as simple as that. :idea:

Kirk

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:48 am

I have to disagree with Kirk regarding a visual cue; although I rarely disagree with him. Having taught gymnastics, one of the visual cues for initially teaching a back flip is to tell the individual to look to the ground behind him or her. Of course after many reps of doing this it becomes second nature and the athlete is not conscientious of looking back. The continual sequence of practice has developed the muscle memory to an subconscious skill. So, I believe it is important to initially have physical cues as to when one will thrust (or Bubka) off the top of the pole. By practicing via a visual cue for instance seeing the feet above the top hand in a "cover" position, an individual knows when to thrust. One of the problems I think young vaulters have (as most are impatient) is "coming" off the top because most I see simply extend the feet out toward the crossbar instead of up. Truly I question how many vaulters really know what it means to do a "Bubka". Oh yeah, sure they can do it on the horizontal bars, but for what purpose? However, if a vaulter develops using a visual cue to enact the thrust, after many reps he or she can improve the top element of the vault. And then through repetition it too become a subconsciousness skill. Additionally, after seeing a vaulter "flag out" over the crossbar knocking down, how many coaches ask the vaulter if he or she looked at the crossbar? The coaches initial response might be "don't look at the cross bar" because it raises your head thus raising your shoulders and lowers your hips. In a sense the crossbar has become a visual cue, but a negative one. If one is going to focus on something wouldn't it be better to focus on something that is going to be beneficial in the end? I do agree with Kirk that a high bar can help correct this concern, but i would go as far as noting that the high bar is a good opportunity to also teach looking for a visual cue. It is a control element which can be slow down (mostly after ones swings over bar) and give the athlete the time to see things clearer.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:00 pm

Vquest, I see your point, but from my posts above, you might have missed this one ...
KirkB wrote: Well, I don't actually think that you should focus your eyes/head on ANYTHING. Instead, by doing thousands of reps on the highbar, your head should just naturally stay aligned with your spine (more-or-less). Trying to intentionally do ANYTHING with the head distracts the vaulter, I think, from getting the FEEL of the vault. i.e. the kinisthetic sense of body position in the air. Yes, you COULD look at your top hand or feet if you feel you really must have a visual cue, but that's just a crutch.

Kirk

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:31 pm

Sometimes the issue is overcompensating for looking down at the ground at take-off.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

mohammed
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10.6
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby mohammed » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:56 pm

grandevaulter wrote:
mohammed wrote:Hello
When I vault I always throw my head back in just wanted to know how to fix that problem and what drills I can do I practice to fix it
Thank you

Mohommed, do you throw it immediately after you plant or when you try to push your hips up? video would help.

Immediately after i plant my head goes back but i don't swing right off the ground i drive first then swing up

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”