Fiberglass vs. Carbon

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

lmshil
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Fiberglass vs. Carbon

Unread postby lmshil » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:12 pm

Recently i went from a PR of 9'6 to 11' in one meet and could have gone higher if i wasn't so tired by the time i was attempting 11'6. However i cleared 11' on a carbon pole (14' long 155 gripping about 13'). The problem is that i barely made weight for this pole and the only other carbon pole my school has is a 185. Should i lose weight to stay on this pole or move to a bigger fiberglass pole. Also i made a deal with my dad that if i can clear 13' (hopefully by summer) he will buy me a pole. If i can hit 13' what pole type/brand should i get? Im a junior in HS who is 5'10 and weight ranges from 155-160. Thanks.
Failure only makes you want success even more

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Fiberglass vs. Carbon

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:00 pm

lmshil wrote: ... i cleared 11' on a carbon pole (14' long 155 gripping about 13'). The problem is that i barely made weight for this pole and the only other carbon pole my school has is a 185. Should i lose weight to stay on this pole or move to a bigger fiberglass pole. Also i made a deal with my dad that if i can clear 13' (hopefully by summer) he will buy me a pole. If i can hit 13' what pole type/brand should i get? Im a junior in HS who is 5'10 and weight ranges from 155-160.

Your question shouldn't be "Glass vs. Carbon" - it should be "What weight and length pole do I need now?".

This is a bit of a Catch-22. You will need a pole heavier than 155 to increase your PR from 11-0 to 13-0, and (as you say) the 185 will be too big. You need a couple poles in the 160 to 170 range, as you progress your technique. Are there any poles in that range available for you to borrow or rent?

Right now, a 160 would probably be about right (especially since your weight range is 155-160), and you're in HS. I say a 160 only because of the weight rule - not because your technique requires it right now - that I don't know.

I can't be too specific about exactly what pole(s) you'll need in the future (when your PR increases), with the little info you've given us. But you will likely need something heavier than a 160 to clear 12-0 (let alone 13-0).

You might have to renegotiate with your dad, unless your school has poles.

It would be good to see some vid, to give us a better idea of your technique, and how much you're bending the 155.

BTW, don't be starving yourself, or dehydrate yourself to make weight. It's not worth it. It's better to just get stronger and faster, and work on your technique.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”