Education experience?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

baggettpv
PV Master

Education experience?

Unread postby baggettpv » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:36 am

A question to all coaches out there.
My colleaques and i have been wondering what the background of the Pole Vault coaches are.So i have found it interesting so I ask the question. Where do you people come from? I am a Vocational Teacher with Post BA Education in Secondary Vocational Education (Thats what it says on my degree..... hahaha).
John Wooden said that he's not really a coach but a teacher. So let's see how diverse we are. Whats your story.

Rick Baggett
North Clackamas School District
Building Trades Instructor

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:59 am

I am 27 and vaulted in HS and DIII and still play around for fun. I earned a BA in Computer Science and I am currently doing web development. Coaching related...I am USATF Level 1 certified. I have learned most of what I know from people who have coached me in the past, friends, Reno PV Summit, Books/Video, and this wonderful website.
Chris Milton

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:32 pm

I am, soon to be 24. Just graduated from Cal. state fullerton with a degree in communications emphasis on public relations.

High school- Jumped 15 3 under coach Kevin Magula
JR. College- jumped 16 7 under the same coach
College- went to Mich. state for a year- didnt actually jump for the team but i jumped with Brad Gebauer and Michelle Rzepka (both at Mcneese state now) and jumped under coach Will Wabaunsee.

Transfered to Cal. State fulleron where i worked with coach Ron Kamaka.Jumped 16 10 3/4(5.15)

I have "worked" with.. and i use that term loosely. But i have jumped with Earl Bell for a day, Worked with Anthony Curran of UCLA for a couple weeks, Worked with Giovanni Lanaro of Mexico and Brian Yokayama at Mt. sac. I have DVD's of Dave Butler and Vitaly Petrov speaking at reno of Bubka's jump and "how to" do it.

Since the question is asked about 'education'. I belive that you must get a very diverse opinion on what you are doing for your career. I have always wanted to become a coach and when my alma mater asked me to coach at the scool- i jumped at the chance.

As you read who i have "worked" with, You'll see how many people i have spoken to or learned from. I only throw those names out because those are the bigger names, but i have spoken with MANY diff. coaches. I throw that out there because with all of those names that i "dropped" :P There aren't 2 people that have the same philosophy of the vault. I figure if I talk to that many coaches, and well proven coaches, I can't really go wrong. Cover ALL angles..... so ya, i may only have a bachelors degree in a mediocre major, but as far as pole vault education... I'm doing my "masters" every day :D
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:57 pm

I'm 30 and have BS in Computer Science from Purdue University. I was Indiana State Champ back in 1994 and was Big Ten Outdoor Champ in 1999. I now work as the IT manager for a small educational services company. I've been vaulting for 16 years and coaching for 6, 2 years in IL and 4 in WA. I've taken kids to state level competition in each of those years and have coached 3 boys over 15' in that time. (IL indoor state champ in 2002 and WA 3A runner up this past year). I'm USATF Level 1 certified and hold PVSCB and WA state vault coaching certifications.

I run http://www.polevaultpit.com , help Becca admin this site, and am involved in a few other web related PV projects that haven't been announced to the public yet.

I wish I had more time to devote to the vault outside of track season, but between work and family, I don't get a lot of free time unfortunately..... :crying:
Last edited by ashcraftpv on Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:52 pm

I'm 33 Vaulted for a year and two weeks in HS, Five years at UWSP Held the school record for a few years Qualifed for NCAA III Nationals in 95, Mel Mueller used to come to train with us. Majors in Chemistry, Biology, and Aquatic toxicology. Went to chiropractic college. I had a bad PV accident in 96 fracturing my lumbar spine. Was out of vaulting until 2001 when I began coaching HS in WA.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:06 pm

I jumped 16'08" in HS (1988) and held our state record until last year when one of my athletes broke it as a sophomore (17'00").

Vaulted for Arkansas State University and trained under Guy Kochel and Earl Bell. Had some great teammates like Kelly Riley (18'06") and Jeff Hartwig (17'08").

I graduated in '93 with a BS in Exercise Science. Started coaching the vault in 1999 when a local parent heard I used to vault and his daughter was getting into it. Went back to school and got my teaching certification and started teaching and coaching for a living.

Since then, I've coached boys and girls and have had 38 State Indoor and Outdoor Champions (18 State Records and 1 Jr. Class National Indoor Record), and 10 Meet of Champs Champions. In the early years I had 5 national AAU Champs (3 national records).

I've had 5 boys over 15', 4 over 16' and one over 17'. Had 4 girls over 12' and 1 over 13'.

I just got back from an "Emerging Elite Coaches Camp" held at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, CA where I met some of the most incredible coaches who taught me tons about the vault and training strategies.

I'm 36 and still vault with my kids when there's a nice tailwind and just jumped 16' again a few weeks ago for the first time in a couple of years.

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:23 pm

Currently 52 years old-- started vaulting at age 6 continued thru high school. Away from the sport for 25 years. Took up coaching my son 10 years ago and continue to coach high school boys and girls in Indiana.
Have had 8 State qualifiers and 3 all state vaulters. Learned about everything I know about the vault from hanging around Earl Bell and picking his brain.
I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering from Purdue and employed as an engineering manager at an automotive parts supplier.

science geek
PV Whiz
Expertise: HS Coach, occasional beginning vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9' 6
Favorite Vaulter: Crash

Unread postby science geek » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:39 am

I am 34 and have never vaulted competatively in my life. I have practiced about 20 times in the last couple of years and have cleared a whopping 9'. I graduated from Eastern Washington University with a physical education degree and a minor in chemistry.
I have taught and coached pole vault for the last 5 years at a high school outside of Seattle, WA. I just changed jobs (teaching at a new high school) so that I can walk 5 minutes to work (life goal achieved). I am also interviewing to be the head track coach at the same school, but as of right now I am currently not a coach.
I have attended the level 1 USATF clinic and a local pole vault camp here in our state. I also went to Reno in January and thought it was the coolest. I am interested in the "emerging Elite Coaches Camp", is this something anyone can go to. I don't really have any elite vaulters, especially by national standards, but am always interested in hearing from other coaches. Oh, I also have about 5 different coaching videos.

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Coaching

Unread postby Decamouse » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:28 am

over 50 - starting coaching HJ in 79, Volunteer Assist at U of Michigan in mid 80's will getting a couple of Masters in Engineering. Started dappling in multi's - actual paid a little attention to the vault - moved back to Wisconsin in late 80's coached jumpers at various places - went to Jan's camp to learn more about vault - big career change just over 4 years ago - no longer coaching - to busy - actually started getting coached in vault - life time PR'ing at 50 and 51. (still low) - still learning and competing as a Master -
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:43 pm

24 years old, a former distance runner at the well known York H.S. in Elmhurst, IL who decided to try pole vaulting at the end of my junior year. I went to Millikin University (DIII) in Decatur, IL and vaulted 13'8.5". I graduated in 2004 with a BA in Social Science Secondary Education. I have coached two years at a h.s. and attend clinics and camps. I'm looking to send my first vaulter downstate this year. However I am more interested in building the vault program. I am still jumping. Still too nervous to compete again but am jumping during the indoor and outdoor season and durig the summer a lot...

However I just had surgery to help my Syringomyelia and Chiari Malformation, which basically meant brain/spine surgery. Oh and they found two bones fused together in my neck. So I am on the shelf for the fall.

Patrick
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Education

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:58 am

I'll be 61 in a week or so. I start jumping in 1962 as a junior in high school. That was during the time when one of the most important pieces of equipment at the pit was a pitchfork. I learned to jump on a steel pole. My dad bought a skypole my senior year, but never learned to bend it until I got to college. My senior year I set the Southeast Indoor record. Went to the University of Tennessee after HS. We didn't have a coach during that period, so practice was a lot of guess work and jump and jump and jump! I finally managed to get on some bigger poles and got my grip up a bit and managed to set the UT record in 1965 at 14'6". Not especially high, but it puts me in the same club as Lojo! He has the current school record, dif is I can stand on mine and not be able to look over his! The times do change. Went into the army in '66 and somehow got to Germany where I jumped with the Mannheim track club.
I got out of the army and coached the UT men from '70 to '72. Then coached HS vaulters off and on since then. Lately, I coached the local AAU team with a guy named Tim Mack. After he went pro I have the pleasure of co-coaching the AAU kids with a guy known as Agapit on this board. Then I had the great fortune of being allowed to coach the UT Lady Vols pole vaulters. What a great thing to be able to do.

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:51 pm

I didn't start vaulting until my junior year of high after a move from Wisconsin to San Diego. My high school PR was 11'6". I played football to keep in shape for track.

I only jumped one year in college with a PR of 15'3" at Grossmont Junior College in San Diego. I was conference champ in 1987.

Fast forward 16 years later, my wife has always known that I wanted to coach, finds the that the local high school is looking for a coach. I'm a stay at home dad so it fit great.

Valley Center High School has one of the best runways and pole selection in San Diego. I was able to send my first male vaulter to State the second year. They are still looking for a new coach as my wife took a job in Chicago.

My education in vaulting is two AAF clinics, countless hours of video, the Summit in 2004, and two Jan Johnson clinics. Oh, and hour of studying Tom Martin at Rancho Bernardo HS in SD. He was Tracy O'Hara's high school coach. He counts on at least two vaulter at the State meet every year.

I have begun my current job and education at Carmel Catholic HS in NW suburb of Chicago. Winter taught me that you can vault in below freezing temps. The kids don't mind but the coach will freeze his --- off.

I step onto the runway at my new school with a new pit and five usable fives. It might be a while before I get back to State but I have lit a fire and started to build a quality program. We even bought 10 new poles this last season and have 10 more in the budget for next year.

I hope to start my own club in the nest couple of years.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”