USATF to require backround checks for all club youth coaches

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

USATF to require backround checks for all club youth coaches

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:40 pm

I don't think USATF has anything up on their website about this yet, but I just got back from our Association annual meeting and learned more about this.

USATF will require all club coaches who have "alone time" with youth to undergo a simple background check starting in 2007.

The cost will likely be $2 or $3 and the club or coach will have to pay it. It will be done at the Association level.

The list of coaches in good standing will be available on the USATF website. A coach will be REQUIRED to be on this list to be eligible for the USATF liability insurance.

Pay attention to this issue!! I know there are quite a few of you on here running USATF clubs to cover your insurance. This WILL apply to you.

Youth athlete = any athlete under 18.

More information should be available nationally online by October. Your Association youth chair should be able to tell you more about this.

USATF individual membership fees are also going up slightly, to $19.95 for youth and $29.95 for adult. Beginning in January, the membership will be good for 12 months from the date of purchase, instead of through December 31 like they are now.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:46 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to add...

If a coach is under the age of 18, yes, they still do have to do this.

Coach = anyone who has alone time with the athletes.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”