Drills when you have no pits

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Drills when you have no pits

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:19 pm

I know there are other threads about this, but I wanted to get a good discussion going in the Coaches Forum.

List every possible drill type-thing that you could do with no access to pole vault pits or sand pits. I have access to an indoor gym with astro-turf on the floor and a high bar outside. We have hurdles in the astro gym, but no mats. No track facility outside and limited access to grass fields.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:09 pm

I really like the 20/20 (20 steps in 20 meters) drill in BTB. If you have astroturf, I imagine it's marked off with hashmarks at 1 yard intervals for football. 20yds is a bit tighter than 20m, but the hash marks make it easy to get 20 steps in so you can focus on speed and technique.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:29 pm

Standing, walking, jogging plant drills.
Wall Plants
Pole runs
2 & 4 step jumpovers (same as sand drills with lower grip)
Body weight circuits
Easy gymnastics (handstand walks, round-offs, cartwheels, backward roll into handstands, handsprings if you know how)
Hurdle takeoffs - 2-6 steps in between hurdles turned upside down
Accelerations
Plyos - bounding, skipping, hopping, hurdle hops, lateral bench hops
Lots of sprint form drills (high knees, cycles, butt kicks, carioca, etc...)
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

drills

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:19 pm

If you haven't tried the "ladder" drills I've discussed in previous posts, you should!! I've seen some pretty amazing results from those.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:34 pm

Bubba has me doing what we call "rollbacks". the apparatus is on http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/GetVertical.htm
I've been doing these and it's really helped me get up quicker. It has also done wonders for my abs. Very low impact (for me that's important). More ab stuff is with that big rubber ball ($9.00 at WalMart). I saw the gals at the gym doing these and they are not as easy as they look. Lie flat on your back with the ball between your heels. Straight leg the ball up and pass it off to your straight arms and bring the ball back behind you. Do it back the other way and that's one rep. 10 of those things darn near kill me so I would think you could do 20 or 25. Later....Mike

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Re: drills

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:37 pm

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:If you haven't tried the "ladder" drills I've discussed in previous posts, you should!! I've seen some pretty amazing results from those.

Cut and paste those here please.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:42 am

souleman wrote:Bubba has me doing what we call "rollbacks". the apparatus is on http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/GetVertical.htm
I've been doing these and it's really helped me get up quicker. It has also done wonders for my abs. Very low impact (for me that's important).

Yeah building anything like that is not an option (this is at a college facility that is basically in downtown Seattle). We do have a chin up bar or two, and I know plenty of drills to do on there.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: drills

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:43 am

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:If you haven't tried the "ladder" drills I've discussed in previous posts, you should!! I've seen some pretty amazing results from those.

You mean dj's thing for the various mid marks?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:44 am

achtungpv wrote:I really like the 20/20 (20 steps in 20 meters) drill in BTB. If you have astroturf, I imagine it's marked off with hashmarks at 1 yard intervals for football. 20yds is a bit tighter than 20m, but the hash marks make it easy to get 20 steps in so you can focus on speed and technique.

I can't remember what markings are on it. We don't have a football team, but I assume the turf is from a football field. I'll check it out on Wednesday. I can always add tape or chalk marks.

baggettpv
PV Master

No Pits?

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:58 am

In my book the pit doesn't show up until the last phases of the training. "Coaches Hip Pocket Guide to Pole Vaulting". Great for HS or beginning coaches. Email baggettpv@aol.com for purchase details. Fits right into your hip pocket..

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:04 pm

Becca, I think that this is the prior post that Ladyvolspvcoach was referring to, not DJ's mid-mark chart.
http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6979&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
May the Force be with you!

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”