Who has their own club indoor training facility?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Who has their own club indoor training facility?

Unread postby cdmilton » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:24 pm

I am looking at trying to open up an indoor training facility that would be a center for vaulting and speed/strength development and possibly gymnastics training. Did you build, rent, purchase the facility? If anyone has any experience in this please post here or PM me.
Chris Milton

mjaubbs40
PV Whiz

Unread postby mjaubbs40 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:26 pm

I've looked into renting warehouses, but so far is very expensive ($2-3 grand a month) and they require a lot of insurance. So now I'm looking into building my own. So far I like the "cover all" buildings. I believe they are about $100 per square foot and have become pretty popular--popping up all over western NY.
So as we are both about to go through this process, please share your experience.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:31 pm

Rick Baggett (Willamette Striders) and George Rodriguez (Texas Pole Vault Club/Elite Vaulter Sports Complex) and Earl Bell (Bell Athletics) all built theirs.

Tom Davis (HIP Athletics) rents his, and recently moved facilities.

I am not sure what Vertical Assault is doing.

I didn't give links, but google any of those names and you will find their website.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:01 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Rick Baggett (Willamette Striders) and George Rodriguez (Texas Pole Vault Club/Elite Vaulter Sports Complex) and Earl Bell (Bell Athletics) all built theirs.

Pretty sure George rents his.

$2-3K a month isn't too terrible if that includes utilities. Still it's kind of depressing that 10-15 club members @ $200/mo. goes towards rent.

Before building, check your local property tax code. That could kill the deal. In TX, there's no cap on appraisal increases for commercial property so you could easily pay $15K a year in taxes on a relatively low-end building. If it's located on your own residential property, maybe it can be classified as a barn/agricultural building for next to no taxes? I dunno.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

baggettpv
PV Master

Indoor facility

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:59 am

Naw costs too much. Earls cost 250. Mine 300. If you have any questions just email me.

Build it they will come,
Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

baggettpv
PV Master

haha Earls...

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:05 am

Someone try to find out what earls '06 tax evaluation was.. Mine was $754,000.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Re: haha Earls...

Unread postby achtungpv » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:59 pm

baggettpv wrote:Someone try to find out what earls '06 tax evaluation was.. Mine was $754,000.

In Austin, that would be an annual property tax bill of a bit over $18,000. Ouch.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

baggettpv
PV Master

Ouch

Unread postby baggettpv » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:48 am

Then you would have to rent, or have the cash flow to be able to cover the taxes and other overhead items.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

cdmilton
PV Follower

Re: Ouch

Unread postby cdmilton » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:47 am

Rick, Looking at yor website it sounds like you got some local people and businesses to sponsor your club for some of the cost of building. Did you also purchase the land at the same time or did you already own that?
Chris Milton

baggettpv
PV Master

WSTC LLC

Unread postby baggettpv » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:23 am

Chris,
The sponsors are just people that helped me build it. No money except I sold parking spaces for $100. People will have their name on each spot they sponsored. Broetche loaned me his excavator and cat to do some ground work plus his man lift to hang the electrical. I have a scholarship for one athlete in his name.
I bought 2 acres ($200k) zoned FU10 and applied for a conditional use permit to put up a recreational building. Got it and started the build. The property has a beat up house on it so thats where I live now. I have the building located on the very south end of the property and am getting ready to develop the remaining acre into 7-8 building lots. Annexing into the city (from the county) in May. The building lots will have a value of between 150k to 200k each. Development costs are being born by the developer I hired ( he gets one lot for free). Right now I am negotiating the purchase of a new house bordering the building side of my property for 400k. Nice house, 3000 sq.ft. Craftsman style... nice! So when I am done.....New house, PV Facility, 400k minus taxes in the bank and no mortgage.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

cdmilton
PV Follower

Re: WSTC LLC

Unread postby cdmilton » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:40 am

Wow! Sounds like you basically stole that property. Good work! Sounds like you have a great plan out there with developing the remaining land so it pays for itself. I am very impressed.

How close are you to the city? Will the kids have to drive far to get there? How many kids do you have per week? Do they come multiple days? Do you train most of them year round or do they train at their HS in season?
Chris Milton

baggettpv
PV Master

Program and business....

Unread postby baggettpv » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:02 am

Milton, Go to willamettestriders.com to see how we have the programs laid out. We are gonna add a community school aspect during the day and pre school also. To expand the athletic business.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”