Why do combined event meets count for NCAA but not Reno?

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Why do combined event meets count for NCAA but not Reno?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:34 am

Why do combined event meets that consist of one or two events only (men's decathlon and women's heptathlon) count for NCAA qualifying while the Pole Vault Summit does not?

Is there a clause that says it is OK for multis to qualify from meets with less than the minimum number of events?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:34 pm

Why can't anyone answer my question? :(

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:50 pm

Probably because the NCAA can't answer answer your question either!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:06 pm

we should just sanction some 100 and 200m dashes on the street outside the hotel, so there will be 3 events sanctioned. Then after we all vault we can get some sprint times too :)
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:51 pm

then while we're at it, why dont we just throw the disc and hammer over all the runways...it would be easy to measure!?!?!

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:10 am

the NCAA are jerks, but they did me a favor once so i don't think i can talk too bad about them. So i will let this one slide.

Higher Flyer
PV Newbie

Unread postby Higher Flyer » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:42 am

make a petition

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:31 am

There is a longer tradition of hosting a multi by itself rather than as part of a full-event track meet. There was an article in Sports Illustrated about thirty years ago about a discus-only meet held in the desert with a howling wind. People obliterated all the records, then found out the meet wasn't properly sanctioned because it had only one event (others who remember the article, please forgive me if my memory is a little inacccurate).

A multi is a two-day event, and does not fit easily into a one-day meet. It is also difficult for a decathlete to double into other events (Tim Bright excepted). Therefore, it has good justification for being held separately. A PR set during a decathlon might have more legitimacy than, say, a discus-only meet staged in a wind tunnel.

I have no insight into the official justification for the rule. The rule is of no consequence to me, so I have no stake in defending it. I am only suggesting possible grounds for the exclusion.

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Combined Events

Unread postby Decamouse » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:37 am

Technically there are ten events in the combined event decathlon - to win the deca you have to compete in all ten - so the lawyers can step in - but technically it is ten events - with the combined score giving the winner - even though it is scored as a single event in team scoring - bet that made this real clear
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Combined Events

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:25 pm

Decamouse wrote:Technically there are ten events in the combined event decathlon - to win the deca you have to compete in all ten - so the lawyers can step in - but technically it is ten events - with the combined score giving the winner - even though it is scored as a single event in team scoring - bet that made this real clear

But there are indoor multi meets with pens and heps, which are well under the minimum number of events for NCAA qualifying.

pv161
PV Nerd
Expertise: high school/club coach, masters vaulter, former college vaulter, usatf official
Lifetime Best: 4.91

minimum?

Unread postby pv161 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:18 am

what is the minimum number of events for it to be concidered a meet? and do they have to be track and field events combined?

StanVaultCoach
PV Wannabe

Here are your answers!

Unread postby StanVaultCoach » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:26 am

Go to the following link and download/view the 2007 NCAA rules book. The answers to your questions are on page 152-153. You will notice that they did make an amendment this year with regards to established single event competitions like the summit. Last year the marks counted because of the conjunction with a meet run at UNR. Unfortunately this year they are rennovating the wood track and are not hosting meets. Hopefully this amendment is kept and qualifying will occur again next year when the UNR track program is hosting meets at the same time as the summit.

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_and_e ... ing_rules/

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”