Reno - Hartwig 5.70, Stuczynski 4.70, Steiner 4.60

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:33 am

http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=37280.html

Stuczynski improves to 4.70, fifth win for Hartwig at Reno's Pole Vault Summit
Saturday 20 January 2007
Reno, Nevada, USA - Jenn Stuczynski and Jeff Hartwig returned to the winner’s circle on Friday night (19) at the USA Track & Field National Pole Vault Summit at the Grand Sierra Resort.

Stuczynski defended her title with a career-best 4.70m and then took three attempts at an American record of 4.82m.

Reno win #5 for Jeff Hartwig
(Kirby Lee)

The 39-year old Hartwig, who began competing in the 17th annual meet in 1994, knocked off defending world champion Brad Walker with a 5.70m effort for his first Reno win since 2000.

Stuczynski - Closing in on Dragila’s U.S. record

Rhythmic clapping and boisterous crowd support from a packed hotel theatre weren’t enough for Stuczynski in her record attempt.

Stuczynski, 24, hit the bar on the way up on her first and third attempts at 4.82m and stalled out and ducked under the crossbar on the second. Her 4.70 nonetheless tied her with Carolin Hingst of Germany as the early season world leader.

She was visibly upset at her failed record attempt to break Stacy Dragila’s national indoor standard of 4.81m set at the 2004 IAAF World Indoor Championships in Budapest.

“We had a goal and it was 4.82m coming in and we’re a little upset that we didn’t get it,â€Â

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:49 pm

Thanks a ton Scott. I was going to do it, but would not have been able to update on the spot like you did. Great Job!
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:09 pm

ashcraftpv wrote:Thanks a ton Scott. I was going to do it, but would not have been able to update on the spot like you did. Great Job!

Thanks Ashcraft!
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:13 pm

Great reporting! Thanks so much!

Certainly not to take anything out of context but I was a little baffled by Jenn's quote, "“(Steiner) jumped really good,â€Â
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Howler
PV Newbie

Unread postby Howler » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:41 pm

The US has lots of 15 foot jumpers but, unless I'm mistaken, none ever seem to obtain that height together at the same event. Having two American Ladies hit 15+ feet in a single event, early in the season, is promising and shows to be an exciting year for female pole vaulting.

It's a shame the organizers of this event had that circus taking place on stage while Stuczynski was attempting her record breaking jump. It almost reminded me of what happened to Monika Pyrek at the IAAF World Cup in Greece this past September.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:03 pm

Howler wrote:It's a shame the organizers of this event had that circus taking place on stage while Stuczynski was attempting her record breaking jump. It almost reminded me of what happened to Monika Pyrek at the IAAF World Cup in Greece this past September.

Just trying to fill some dead time. It's late at night and people were walking out. It wouldn't be fair to Jenn to rush her through her last jumps.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Bubba PV wrote:The US has had lots of 15' jumpers and recently too. Congrats to all!! Bubba

There have been a number of girls who jump 15' every now and then.

I'd say Jenn and Stacy are the only ones who have ever cleared 15'+ with any regularity.

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:40 pm

Howler wrote:It's a shame the organizers of this event had that circus taking place on stage while Stuczynski was attempting her record breaking jump. It almost reminded me of what happened to Monika Pyrek at the IAAF World Cup in Greece this past September.

I think you missed the point of the Summit. It's obviously not an event to cater to elites. And you know, that's fine for the month of January. The real worry would be if their spectacular performances top out in Reno as best 2007 marks. Though, I wish them to jump higher.

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”